Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP primers

harleyfan

On a 1050 the swage rod will let you know it's there, so you can pull it out.  There's a company that offers a SPP detector you put in place of the swage rod that will beep at you, and one of the automation companies offers a detect and kick-out option as well I believe.

But for any other press...yeah visually is pretty much only option it appears.

On a 1050 the swage rod will let you know it's there, so you can pull it out.  There's a company that offers a SPP detector you put in place of the swage rod that will beep at you, and one of the automation companies offers a detect and kick-out option as well I believe.

Wish I had a 1050!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What company make that? I need a way to separate them on my 1050.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure it slows me down, but ever since I bent a Dillon decapping pin by hitting a spent primer that had fallen into a case in the brass bin on my RL550B, each case as I pick it up from the bin gets turned over and rolled in my fingers.  During this process, I glance at the headstamp.  I've found one SP .45 case doing this in each of my two most recent reloading sessions...in what I thought was already sorted LP brass.  I try to separate SP from LP when picking up brass at the range.  I store them separately when dirty, tumble them separately, and store the tumbled brass separately.

On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 11:57 AM, njl said:

I'm sure it slows me down, but ever since I bent a Dillon decapping pin by hitting a spent primer that had fallen into a case in the brass bin on my RL550B,

So I'm not the first ;) I didn't bend it to bad and was able to straighten it out.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a .500 clear ammo case at Cabella's for about $3 (others may work also).  Take a handful of .45 ACP brass, dump it in the ammo case and shake.  The cases will usually land with the primer facing down.  Now, put a piece of 1/4" plywood or cardboard over the top of the cases and flip over.  You will now be able to see all of the primers and be able to identify the small primers.  With a 50 or 100 round ammo case, you can sort 45 ACP cases quickly.

I have the latest version of the AmmoBot primer punch on my 1050, and it works awesome.  I use it when processing 9mm brass, to detect primer pull-backs.  When I start reloading 45ACP too, I will be using the large primer version for the same thing.