Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target Stands

MissionaryMike

Is this the right sub-forum to ask this?  I'm up for membership at a local gun club.  Up until now, I've only been able to practice at an indoor range, which has its limitations.  Looks like I'm going to be able to permanently step up my training a little bit, not to take any probationary membership for granted.  I'd like to invest into targets and stands little by little.  I'd like to start off by purchasing a handful of stands that hold the official USPSA targets.  Are you guys somehow fabricating your own stands, or do you have a go-to manufacturer?

Thanks!

Depends on your skill set. If you can weld that opens doors. We make ours out of 2x4s but they are not as durable as steel ones. If you have zero skills you can buy them from dozens of sources all around the 40 dollar range 

https://ultimatetargets.com/products/idpa-target-holder-18-free-s-h

I picked up a few of these because I thought they were reasonably priced and im lazy. I have access to a full metal fabrication shop and I can weld. I have the material to make more exactly like these and will be using these as a template. Also the more you buy from the link above, the less they cost per stand.

Edited by Shmella

I weld my own.  1.5" angle iron for the "H", 1x2" square tube for the upright holders.  Drill a hole in the upright holders and either tap it or weld a nut over it to use a bolt to hold the upright furring strips.

They're easy to build if you have access to the tools.

I make my own....they are a V style or X style that like kinda folds up:

1180614B-6E5A-4CE5-9131-1E60319DAAB5-351

My idea was to get them to fold closed and then fit in a five gallon bucket:

24EA9C3A-F426-4146-8F49-1BCB37910EFC-246

If you buy or make your own, and it is an H style , be sure that the vertical upright pockets that receive  the furring strips are welded to the inside of the "legs"... don't weld the "pockets" on top of the legs.

You want the H style stands to be able to nest together.  Putting the pockets to the inside allows them to nest together.

12 minutes ago, Chills1994 said:

I make my own....they are a V style or X style that like kinda folds up:

1180614B-6E5A-4CE5-9131-1E60319DAAB5-351

My idea was to get them to fold closed and then fit in a five gallon bucket:

24EA9C3A-F426-4146-8F49-1BCB37910EFC-246

If you buy or make your own, and it is an H style , be sure that the vertical upright pockets that receive  the furring strips are welded to the inside of the "legs"... don't weld the "pockets" on top of the legs.

You want the H style stands to be able to nest together.  Putting the pockets to the inside allows them to nest together.

Where did you get those bolts with the flattened heads?  I like those.

The best bet is to partner up with someone who has some equipment or has all the equipment.  I practice with a buddy.  He usually brings all the target stands and other equipment.  I usually bring stands as well but they usually stay in the box.  The stands I got are from GT Targets which fold.

I'm using PVC stands and 1x2 wood stakes. They are easy enough to break down for transport and cost next to nothing.  A good friend of mine makes steel targets and stands, he's not a vendor here though.

This is what I did as well. I'll try to get a picture of one tonight. 1.5" pvc with 4-1.5" pressure pvc tee's and 4-1.5" pvc caps per stand. Buy them at a plumbing supply house, lowes and home depot are a rip off for pvc

Daniel K

none of my metal stands nest and it's a pain. my home made 2x4 ones work fine but just don't seem as finished or durable. i drive a truck so i just throw all these things in the back however. if using a car trunk i'd probably want folders.

none of the metal stands i have will hold a target up in a breeze, let alone wind, without stakes. my home made wooden ones do this better.

4 stands seems to be a good number. at one time i had ten, i've pared that down to 6 now. the club i belong to has stands in the bays, no need to bring my own. so mine are just used for dry fire in the yard when it's nice outside.