9mm 90g JHP with 3N38 for Steel Challenge

Part_time_redneck

Good day all. 

I'm about to work up a steel load for my open gun. Basically this:

Glock 34

LW barrel 

11lb recoil. 

Jager 4 port comp. 

major loads are MG JHP, CCI SPP, 9.2g of VV 3N38 at 1.140 OAL. Makes 169-170 PF very consistently and shoots and runs great. 

I have several Speer 90g FMJ's I was going to try with the 3N38. Does anyone have experience with a similar load? Naturally I'm not concerned with making any PF or extreme accuracy with 35 yards max SC distance. Just reliability and mainly soft & flat running. 

When working up my major loads I had to get to 7.4 g before gun would cycle reliably. 

I'm thinking of starting @ 6.8g and chronoing from there. I'll post findings just in case anyone is interested. 

Thoughts, ideas, opinions, suggestions. Thanks in advance guys. 

Why use such a lot of slow powder?

I've worked up a load with 3.5 gr of clays and a 95gr coated bullet. Reliable cycling, lock back and soft like a 22lr.

But it needed a 6# recoil spring (tanfo stock 2).

John, slow burning powders make more gas and shoot flatter in compensated pistols, I assume your Stock II doesn't have a comp, right?

Neil, 3N38 under a 90gr is awesome!  I've loaded as much as 10gr :devil:

If you're already loading 9.2 under a 115, I wouldn't waste time loading as low as 6.8, it likely won't cycle until you get close to 8.  3N38 is an exceptionally safe power for Open guns, VV has two loads in their book which make major.

Edited by kneelingatlas