Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unique Tek tool head.

My Dillon 650 seems to run worse with this tool head. Trying to reduce oal variation, but seem to have more issues with case mouths catching on the die in station one. I have to guess that the little wobble built into the stock set up helps with this issue. Anyone experienced this?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

On 2/8/2017 at 1:05 PM, harleyfan said:

My Dillon 650 seems to run worse with this tool head. Trying to reduce oal variation, but seem to have more issues with case mouths catching on the die in station one. I have to guess that the little wobble built into the stock set up helps with this issue. Anyone experienced this?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have the uniquetek clamped tool head. Maybe 1-2 every couple hundred does hang up. Don't know how you set the toolhead. You need to just screw in bolts 1-2 turns where toolhead is still loose. And fill all stations with cases like the shell plate is full raise it into dies and then tighten bolts on toolhead. That fixed my issues when I first started loading with it. 

really tight tolerances on the Uniquetek clamped tool head, i had to do the alignment procedure recommended by Dillon also tight the screws on the tool head with all 5 station filled and still have some crushed cases on station #1 if I'm cranking fast.

something is not right. I run the whidden clamped tool head on a 650 (using lee dies) and I might get one case in 5,000 hang up. probably not even that often (I can barely remember one happening).

I can suggest tightening it up with cases in the dies. I also suggest have a good look at the case pusher and make sure it's not pulling back the case when it's retracting from the shell plate. I still use a plain Dillon head for 1 caliber and it works fine but my press is smoother with the whidden. it gives more feel too. I can actually feel a piece of brass going into the carbide sizing ring in S1.

I also run the press fairly quickly (bullet feeder) so it's not like I'm babying things to get it to run. It runs very comfortably at around just over 1,000/hour pace (around 100/5min).

15 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

something is not right. I run the whidden clamped tool head on a 650 (using lee dies) and I might get one case in 5,000 hang up. probably not even that often (I can barely remember one happening).

I can suggest tightening it up with cases in the dies. I also suggest have a good look at the case pusher and make sure it's not pulling back the case when it's retracting from the shell plate. I still use a plain Dillon head for 1 caliber and it works fine but my press is smoother with the whidden. it gives more feel too. I can actually feel a piece of brass going into the carbide sizing ring in S1.

I also run the press fairly quickly (bullet feeder) so it's not like I'm babying things to get it to run. It runs very comfortably at around just over 1,000/hour pace (around 100/5min).

I run a Whidden clamped head in my 550B. It's smooth as silk, and quiet as a mouse.

In a few days I'll be installing one in my 650, and am hoping for the same results.

I believe the key to success is having ammo in the dies with the shell plate up when tightening the clamp screws.