Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 USPSA Revolver Nationals

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to sound so negative, but the reality is that participation in USPSA Revo keeps fading every year.  I shot two area matches last year and we had 3 and 4 wheelgunners, respectively.  Many people on this forum talk the talk, but won't actually show up and compete.  

Sam Keen and I have tried numerous times to generate interest with special revolver-only matches is IA and TN over the last 10 years, with only limited (and temporary) success.  

There is little support in USPSA for the division.  Several years ago, when I was on the IPSC World Shoot U.S. Revolver team (I wound up not going), they wouldn't even provide us with shirts.  And with the dismal mission counts put up in Revo, who can really blame them?

Now when people ask me about USPSA Revo, I tell them to forget it if they want any real competition.  Shooting for fun is fine--but I enjoy real competition.  And for me, that means finding it in other divisions.  

Guys--it's over.  When Sam says he's given up, when Cliff shoots his M&P at a local match instead of revolver at the FL Open, when Matt plays golf instead of shooting, when Jerry doesn't bother with Revolver Nats for the last several years, etc., etc., etc....we're done. 

It was fun while it lasted.  It really was.

I hear what you're saying but I haven't lost hope for the division just yet.  In fact I shot with someone last Sunday who got their very first USPSA Revolver classification.  The activity reports from the last few years do show it being quite stagnant so I'm guessing we have shooters who are new to the division and haven't traveled outside of club level with their revolver.  It took me 2 1/2 years before I even consider a major match and I shoot revolvers almost exclusively.  When I got started hardly anyone I shot with traveled so I wasn't even aware of the Level II or III matches in my area.  It's just a matter of getting new shooters interested if we want to see any kind of growth.

2013 2014 2015 (10 month) 2016
Limited 32,908 36,563 39,800 49,403
Production 29,943 32,608 34,286 41,713
Open 20,164 20,635 21,072 25,157
Single Stack 13,349 13,974 13,424 15,923
L10 8,241 8,074 6,986 6,806
Carry Optics 0 0 211 5,268
Revolver 3,204 3,561 3,316 3,440

22 hours ago, Carmoney said:

I hate to sound so negative, but the reality is that participation in USPSA Revo keeps fading every year.  I shot two area matches last year and we had 3 and 4 wheelgunners, respectively.  Many people on this forum talk the talk, but won't actually show up and compete.  

Mike me and you have discussed this several times. The post below yours(thanks Alex) shows the numbers haven't changed for the last several years. Maybe some areas have went down but some have went up to make up for it.

Not everyone can afford to make all the major matches and have to choose which ones we make.

Your talk the talk comment was out of line seeing how you have only shot 6 USPSA matches with a Revolver in the last 2 years.

Some of us are out there every weekend shooting and promoting Revolver division.

Sam Keen and I have tried numerous times to generate interest with special revolver-only matches is IA and TN over the last 10 years, with only limited (and temporary) success.  

I thank not only you and Sam but all the other match directors that support Revolver division.

There is little support in USPSA for the division.  Several years ago, when I was on the IPSC World Shoot U.S. Revolver team (I wound up not going), they wouldn't even provide us with shirts.  And with the dismal mission counts put up in Revo, who can really blame them?

So you didn't get a shirt and that means USPSA doesn't support Revolver division? USPSA gives me a place to shoot my Revolver at matches and a national event to attend if I choose to. That works for me.

Now when people ask me about USPSA Revo, I tell them to forget it if they want any real competition.  Shooting for fun is fine--but I enjoy real competition.  And for me, that means finding it in other divisions.  

Mike you are certainly entitled to your opinion but why would you tell other shooters what division to shoot? Tell them about Revolver and let them try it and make up their own mind. They might love it and who knows they might be a national champion someday. You complain about no competition in revolver division yet you discourage other shooters from trying it.

I have competition at every match I shoot even if I'm the only revolver there. I just try to beat the autos and have a blast trying to do so.

Guys--it's over.  When Sam says he's given up, when Cliff shoots his M&P at a local match instead of revolver at the FL Open, when Matt plays golf instead of shooting, when Jerry doesn't bother with Revolver Nats for the last several years, etc., etc., etc....we're done.

No we're not done at least some of us are not. Maybe you and the ones listed are but some of us are still having fun.

I can't speak for any of the shooters you listed but I know that most of them were NOT happy with the 8 shot rule change and might have have had a small part in them not shooting Revolver anymore. Everyone knows Jerry is following the money with his family. 

It still is as much fun as it always was and by the numbers it has been a stable but small division. Sorry you are not having as much fun as you used to but you don't speak for the rest of us.

Edited by Bosshoss

Paul makes a few good points.  I'm planning to shoot at least one match per week with a revolver for the next 8 weeks between IDPA, ICORE, USPSA, and Steel. But I'll only be able to shoot 3-4 majors for the whole year.  It's a lot of time and money to travel out of state.

Also, if you're not feeling challenged locally try to beat another auto division.  A personal goal of mine for this year is getting HOA at an IDPA match with the 625.  I might not be able to do it but I keep trying anyway.  Go chase after SS and Prod. shooters if you're the only revolver at USPSA.

I remember the world shoot BS uspsa pulled. They supported all the other divisions but revolver. If I remember correctly didn't Bob Purdue step up for the revolver team? Still uspsa treated the division like a red headed step child.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ChrisC said:

I remember the world shoot BS uspsa pulled. They supported all the other divisions but revolver. If I remember correctly didn't Bob Purdue step up for the revolver team? Still uspsa treated the division like a red headed step child.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Please don't think that has magically changed for 2017. There are people pissed that spots are being "wasted" on a self funded US Revolver Team. 

There has always been a deficiency of Revolver competition at area matches, state matches and especially locals. To be honest there are only a half dozen people I want to shoot against anymore, and I only get that opportunity a few times a year. 

No one gets into this division for the overabundace of competition every weekend, we're all here because we love the challenge. 

Seeing guys like Alaskan454 pushing to be better, just starting out shooting majors, excited about shooting his revolver every weekend is what this division needs. That's the only way to promote it.

Mike, you are an extremely talented and experienced revolver shooter. One of the top guys in the country. Do other guys with your long history of competing near the top in other divisions feel the same? Are they frustrated that there's no "competition" at an area match in production just because a win for them is a slam dunk? 

I say we agree to disagree Mr. Carmoney. This division isn't "over" in my opinion. At least I will do my part to see it continue on. And btw, maybe Jerry quit shooting it because he had pretty much done it all in the revo division. Prime example, Max Michel. He's now dabbling in 3 Gun. What else does he have to prove in the Open Division. On to new challenges for him. 

Edited by jdub05

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, Carmoney said:

Couldn't have said it better.

This is a sport. People want to compete.

at this weekends Area 2 match,  limited 10 and Revolver divisions will not be recognized due to not enough people being signed up.    I got a spot for the match this last weekend and was kind of shocked with this info.   I'll be running my 627 in production since I don't use a race style holster, unless I'm running open.

2 hours ago, JohnRodriguez said:

at this weekends Area 2 match,  limited 10 and Revolver divisions will not be recognized due to not enough people being signed up.    I got a spot for the match this last weekend and was kind of shocked with this info.   I'll be running my 627 in production since I don't use a race style holster, unless I'm running open.

This is the death knell.  Rich Wolfe, returning multi year revolver champion, will not be shooting revolver.  If the division will not be recognized, no prize table.  Look for Rich to shoot limited with a bottom feeder.  Sad.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started shooting Revolver division. I've shot six matches so far and shot my last classifier at 65%. I plan to shoot the WSSSC on revolver day, 59 guys shot it last  year. I hope as many revolver shooters show up this year. If I was able I would have signed up for Area 1. All of my shooting buddies have been supportive and encouraging. I plan on continuing to shoot my revolver and I plan to get good at it. Like me others come to this forum for advice, information, support and encouragement, especially encouragement. If you don't have any to offer 'cause you've given up on revolver...well maybe if you don't have anything good to say you shouldn't say anything at all.

I am not speaking to anyone in particular.

Now excuse me I have to go and practice.:)

• 3 weeks later...
OK.  Stages are posted.  Get out your running shoes.  A lot of movement and tight shots. Standards start at 50 yards, and end up at 25 yards weak hand only.  It's going to be a different match.  Richard.

I hope it is.. I think the issue has been location and the stages over the past few year's. I'm coming off of shoulder surgery and had very little interest in going back to shoot the same match 4 years in a row.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OK.  Stages are posted.  Get out your running shoes.  A lot of movement and tight shots. Standards start at 50 yards, and end up at 25 yards weak hand only.  It's going to be a different match.  Richard.

I'll wait for reports from the range before I travel to PASA again.

If squads were mixed with single stack, it could be a bigger multi day match like the other nationals...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, PatJones said:

I'll wait for reports from the range before I travel to PASA again.

If squads were mixed with single stack, it could be a bigger multi day match like the other nationals...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes, but then the number of Revo competitors would instantly drop back down to the miserable level it had reached before they brought it to PASA.  Last Nats in Vegas only had 17 wheels.  Revo Nats is being propped up by SS shooters who hang around and shoot an extra "fun match" because they are already there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2017 at 10:33 AM, Alaskan454 said:

This will be my first time going so I hope it's a good match.  Is there a good reason why it's been at PASA for so long?  It seems like there are several large venues to choose from.

tenor.gif