Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match... Hooked!

Broncman

Went to my first "Fun Shoot" last night hosted by Asheville Practical Shooting at Bear Arms.

Why did I not get into this before! Can't wait till the match this weekend. 

First run I did very well. Second run I had a malfunction and it threw me off. Supposed to shoot 2 shots from one side of a door, then over to the other side and 2 more. I had something happen on the second shot , cleared and shot the second target from the same side. Penalty! Then next group I was outside the shoot box, another penalty.

I cleared the jam really fast, looking back I have no idea what happened? I believe I did not have a good grip and grip safety was not fully engaged. Round chambers fine, should have slowed down to learn what happened.

This is going to be so addictive! Aside from the penalty, my shot placement was pretty dang good. Waiting for the score to be posted. 

I need to slow down a little so small errors do not translate it to multiple errors. Smooth it out some.

Shooting a XDM 5.25 in 9. While never shot a competition before, I do have a lot of time with this gun and several others practicing draw from cover and clearing jams etc. I believe I cleared the jam before I even thought about.

Great for a gun fight, but wished I knew what the root cause was. Never had this gun jam on gaged ammo, and do not believe it was a true jam in that since.

I have done some trigger work. Got about 500 Rds since the fitting. May need to inspect the sear travel.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/8/2017 at 10:29 AM, SCTaylor said:

Heroin might be cheaper, but not as much fun.

Welcome to the addiction!

:lol:!!!! The addiction is REAL for sure. Good luck in your USPSA journey

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:29 AM, SCTaylor said:

Heroin might be cheaper, but not as much fun.

Welcome to the addiction!

Very true!  Its more addicting than heroin.

Just remember to follow all the safety rules.  I've seen a few new shooters get DQ'd for sweeping themselves, breaking the 180 rule or running and swinging the gun backwards.  The idea is to grow the sport and not turn off new shooters to the sport.  Go slow and take your time.