Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 2.0 - do current apex barrels fit the new slide?

Quirk

Considering buying a 2.0, but wondered if anyone had hands-on confirmation that the Apex barrels will fit in the new guns?

Also, I could not get an answer from S&W online (email) customer service about whether a non-thumb safety 5" model is coming out. (basically a 2.0 version of the current M&P 9 Pro) Seems odd that the only 5" model out is a flat dark earth with a thumb safety, but I assumed more were coming, and this was just the first. What I received was a fairly  impersonal few sentences that didn't really answer my question and sounded like a stock reply to any question. No human involved here, reads like.  Can't really see the harm in them admitting "yes, that's coming, but don't know exactly when" or such.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your e-mail and your suggestion regarding Smith & Wesson or Thompson Center products.

For 164 years, Smith & Wesson has manufactured high-quality, innovative, firearms for professionals and consumers alike.

At this time we don't have any further info on what products are coming in the near future but we consider customer input a valuable resource from which to draw on during the decision making process.

Please watch our website and Facebook pages for new product announcements.

Your comments are being forwarded to the Marketing Department and appropriate  Management Team for review and consideration for future production.

Thank You for choosing Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center products. Have a great day.

On the Apex website, they specifically list all their barrels as compatible with the 2.0. https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Category?categoryId=71

It's looking like S&W didn't change the external dimensions of their sear housing block enough to interfere with the usual way of dealing with the thumb safety. You remove the TS, detent and spring, then put the frame plugs in. Done. https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Category?categoryId=71

I haven't actually done this myself with one of the 2.0's, so I may be wrong. But S&W has been using this method for quite a while now, in order for all versions of M&P to "optionally" have a TS. All new frames have had the cutouts for the TS for several months, even it they aren't a TS model.

Hi Quirk,

The barrels will fit, however they did change some of the slide dimensions so some additional fitting may be required. 

If you look at the interior side walls of the slide where the ejection port is, you will see an appreciable step in the machining closer to the breech face. Our barrels run .600" nominally when you measure the width of the barrel's chamber area. With a tolerance of .003+/- that means our barrel will range between .597 and .603 wide in that area.

The M2.0 tightened up the spec where you see the step, so that .600 is the max width allowable. This means that you might have to sand or polish down the sides of our barrel by 0.002 on each side in order th let the barrel slip past the step.

The factory tightened up this spec to increase torque stabilization of their barrel, which helps improve consistency shot to shot thereby improving accuracy.

While there may be a bit more fitting required for our barrel in the 2.0, the tightening of the factory specs helps ensure that our barrel locks up consistently in the slide across their slide dimensional tolerance spectrum.

21 hours ago, Randy Lee said:

Hi Quirk,

The barrels will fit, however they did change some of the slide dimensions so some additional fitting may be required. 

If you look at the interior side walls of the slide where the ejection port is, you will see an appreciable step in the machining closer to the breech face. Our barrels run .600" nominally when you measure the width of the barrel's chamber area. With a tolerance of .003+/- that means our barrel will range between .597 and .603 wide in that area.

The M2.0 tightened up the spec where you see the step, so that .600 is the max width allowable. This means that you might have to sand or polish down the sides of our barrel by 0.002 on each side in order th let the barrel slip past the step.

The factory tightened up this spec to increase torque stabilization of their barrel, which helps improve consistency shot to shot thereby improving accuracy.

While there may be a bit more fitting required for our barrel in the 2.0, the tightening of the factory specs helps ensure that our barrel locks up consistently in the slide across their slide dimensional tolerance spectrum.

Randy, thanks for the reply.   Good to hear that info. I have one of your gunsmith fit barrels that was poised for my original M&P that I'll divert to the 2.0 5" that I broke down and bought couple days ago. 

Welcome to Arizona, by the way!

Q

• 2 weeks later...