Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 loading data

osw333

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bullets?

Extrapolating from Vihtavuori data, about 4 grains looks like a good start. Maybe a little less with lead bullets. You need to test the loads anyway, to really know what they do in your pistol.

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/-40-s-w.html

Edited by perttime

4 hours ago, osw333 said:

Using xtreme bullet 180gr fp.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ooohhh sorry to hear that. You use an awesome powder. Ever consider using a better bullet? Depending on how long you are trying to load, most people are around the 5 grain mark with 2011s and plated

I load 5.4g N320 w/180g Zero jacketed flat point bullets at 1.180".  PF varies by gun/barrel, but most are 168+.  My SV I use 5.5g, b/c it runs a little slower with the AET barrel.

Thanks, I tried 5.2 with oal 1.180, I was getting around 890 to 920. I will try 5.4 on next batch.

I have been use TG for production, the loads are pretty consistent. Ran some N320 past week, it was all over place, it went from 916 to 998, the average was around 950, is this normal with N320?

1 hour ago, osw333 said:

Are you happy with Blue bullet performance? Is cheaper than extreme?

Yes they do every thing all rest do but cheaper. I've used zero extreme bayous.   Only thing you have to wash your hands little more while loading. I'm joking it just comes off with little water

Just tested my first loads using 4.7 gr N320, 180 gr Ibejiheads, 1.185" COL, out of an Atlas 5" 1911. I averaged 966 fps for a 174 pf. Extreme spread was 46, SD was 16.

This barrel normally is fast. My titegroup load with same bullet is 4.2 gr for about 168 pf.

I'll try 4.5 gr V320 next. Should be about right.

Went to range and test my load today. I must have a slow sv barrel. 5.4gr 180gr Extreme bullet 1.180 come out calhoun custom 5.5, I averaged around 950 to 970 fps. Little more powder than everyone but I think I'm good.

Cameron's built 5.5" with an STI barrel, match load for majors;

5.1 N320

180 gr HAP

Federal GMM SP primers

Remington 1x case

only 170.6 pf at sea level and high humidity.

going to load at 5.2 grains and call it good.  For 180 gr BBI's I'll drop the load to 4.8 grain and work from there.

On 2/14/2017 at 0:32 AM, osw333 said:

I have been use TG for production, the loads are pretty consistent. Ran some N320 past week, it was all over place, it went from 916 to 998, the average was around 950, is this normal with N320?

I feel your pain.  I just switched to N320 to try it out after hearing how great it was.  I'm experiencing big spreads over a 5-8 round string on my chrono, which I am talking about on another thread on here.  Still getting it worked out.

Edited by KevinB

Went to range and test my load today. I must have a slow sv barrel. 5.4gr 180gr Extreme bullet 1.180 come out calhoun custom 5.5, I averaged around 950 to 970 fps. Little more powder than everyone but I think I'm good.

I had a similar situation with my briley barrel. I was able to switch to acme 180's and was able to drop the charge to 4.6 grains. I was having higher pressure signs at 4.9 grains of n320. I can't imagine what a primer looks like at 5.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/21/2017 at 11:20 PM, osw333 said:

Can anyone suggest another good powder Like n320 for limited?

N320 is hard to beat. W231 / HP38 are pretty close though. Similar feel in recoil and dirtier but closest I've found

Edited by Bullets