Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot Sight - MOS vs Gen 3 vs milled

lgh

Interested in getting a RDS on a Glock. Except for a 22 top end on a 1911 that I don't shoot for speed, my experience with RDS is on rifles. With irons on a pistol, my gun goes where my eyes go but that is after a lot of practice and is a skill I don't want to give up.  Obviously, getting the RDS mounted low will help. Does the MOS system allow a RDS to be mounted significantly lower than a Gen 3 with a dovetail mount?  Obviously, getting the slide milled will get the RDS mounted lowest but how much lower than other methods? Is there a big re-learning curve for sight alignment after you mount a RDS?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by lgh
additional info

Dovetail mount will place the dot the highest, followed by a MOS, followed by a custom milled option. The custom milled option will sit the dot lower by an amount equal to the height of the adapter plates that come with the MOS line of pistols.  I'm at work so I can't measure it for you, but if I had to hazard a guess, the MOS plates have a height/thickness of perhaps .,04 - .08 inches (1-2 mm). That doesn't seem like much but it's a pretty significant difference when it comes to iron sights.

I have a brand new, unfired, untouched G19 MOS for sale if you want to try it out before committing to get a custom milled upper. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks CC.  The question I have is how much does it/did it alter sight alignment when you present from the holster like we do with irons.  Was it satisfactory or way off, leaving you hunting for the dot and requiring one to re-learn presentation for the RDS equipped gun. 

I'm hoping someone has found that the dovetail mount is good enough, at least with some of the red dots. That would be the cheapest approach. Milling in a Docter would be the most effective but expensive and I would prefer a different RDS with adjustable intensity.

Since you are new to dots, I would recommend a dovetail adapter on a Burris FastFire III and run a couple of dozen matches to see if you like running a gun that way. True, the dovetail adapter puts it a bit higher, but Glocks have a pretty low bore axis to start with. And yes, drawing to a dot takes serious discipline and about 3,000 draws.....

My old Trijicon Red Dot on a adapter mount, G17

image37490.jpg

Edited by 9x45

On 2/8/2017 at 9:47 AM, lgh said:

Thanks CC.  The question I have is how much does it/did it alter sight alignment when you present from the holster like we do with irons.  Was it satisfactory or way off, leaving you hunting for the dot and requiring one to re-learn presentation for the RDS equipped gun. 

I'm hoping someone has found that the dovetail mount is good enough, at least with some of the red dots. That would be the cheapest approach. Milling in a Docter would be the most effective but expensive and I would prefer a different RDS with adjustable intensity.

In my experience if you are already familiar enough with the gun to draw and acquire a good sight picture from muscle memory, transitioning to a RDS is sencond nature. My only experience with a slide mounted optic is an RMR on a 19 MOS. 

I had a doc optic in a dovetail mount. I hated it and it kept me away from red dot pistols. I recently picked up a MOS gun to use for deer hunting and the lower mount is night and day. Not perfect, but close. I am considering getting a custom mill done on a 34 to get even with the sights. You can probably get used to anything but it change the presentation.

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2017 at 0:13 AM, taxil343 said:

In my experience if you are already familiar enough with the gun to draw and acquire a good sight picture from muscle memory, transitioning to a RDS is sencond nature.

I very much disagree with this statement. I have had some squared away irons shooters pick up my rmr'ed glocks and they couldn't pick up the dot, and once they found the dot and pulled the first shots they had to 're-find' the dot. I had trouble myself when I first started shooting dots, there is a big learning curve.You may not have as much trouble on mrds's with bigger windows though.

On 2/8/2017 at 10:49 AM, 9x45 said:

drawing to a dot takes serious discipline and about 3,000 draws.....

9x45 is on point with this statement, I will add that when you start shooting with a dot, a really exaggerated high and straight 'L' draw will help. 9x45, finally something you and I agree on?!?

Colt, Yup! Now we can be on the same squad.... Before real dots, I made one out of a piece of 2mm acrylic sheet stock, slotted a 1911 mil spec rear sight, glued it in, used removeable marker and sighted it at 25 yards, then put the permanent marker dot on it. Nice big window, no border, worked good, but fragile. Got the idea from the LOACH pilots in the late 60s, who dotted the windshield for aiming the missles.

just had my 17 milled. Fist stage out of the gate 16 seconds and dropped one Charlie. Its great to see where I'm aiming again. There is a transition period but if you are familiar with the platform you should be ok IMHO.

No matter where it is on the slide you will have to "get USED to it!"

Easiest is to check it out with a dovetail mount, or barrow a dot gun.

Yes you will loose the dot, yes weak hand is a trail in patience until you figure out how to index it/muscle memory.

IF you put some honest time in with it practicing the stuff that is hardest you'll figure it out fairly quickly

Then if you mill your slide it will take one or two times playing with it to get the new index.

1000's of open shooters have figured it out " can't be that hard!" LOL

Good Fortune

YES I shoot open and CO indoors (don't like the comp noise inside)

Edited by jcc7x7

looked thru a buddy's glock with dot yesterday.  even co-witnessed but with the taller sights i had trouble pushing out and finding the dot.  had the same prob with my open gun until i turned the cmore sideways.  definitely a learning curve and going back and forth between optics and iron-sighted guns does not help at all.