Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked comp on DVC

b18prl

the only thing I can imagine is some slight porosity or a stress riser in the corner there combined with the slide hitting the comp (i.e. poor barrel fit). 

are there any witness marks on the front end of the slide where it was hitting the comp?

Yes, mine cracked in the same place the arrow is pointing to. Between the top first port and the side first port. Was not hitting the slide on mine. No marks. STI customer service replaced the whole top end including the slide & barrel along with some other minor repairs. Took very good care of me in a timely manner.

gerritm

Not a lot of steel left to hold it together when you factor in the port width and the side bleeders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yea, I feel bad for the folks over there, they have to figure out how to fix it since sending back here to the U.S. Isn't the option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is a thread on compensator then they can but another or have a machinist/gunsmith make a new one. If it is a Trubor style where the barrel and comp are one piece then you will either have to fit a new barrel or have the remaining comp left on the barrel turned off in a lathe, then add threads and go with a thread on comp.

My previous post was just stating that there doesn't appear to be much structural material holding it together which is why it cracked in the first place. They may want to forgo cutting a side bleeder in the first port since it is the one that has the most stress, especially with that wide of a port.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, b18prl said:

Anybody seen this before?

826a9d742e6ad88c1755f0fc6f03493d.jpg

Sell that gun and get custom gun. Almost the same price! CK ARMS we offer lifetime warranties! Check it out!!! If you will break it. Maybe but not so soon!!!

Sell that gun and get custom gun. Almost the same price! CK ARMS we offer lifetime warranties! Check it out!!! If you will break it. Maybe but not so soon!!!

He sells both STI and Ck Arms in Thailand, just placed a second order of 30 guns.

Shit breaks, it just breaks more often on an open gun. It's unfortunate that you reside so far away and warranty is difficult. I had an SJC comp do the same thing and they sent me a new one without me sending the old one back. One picture did the trick. I had the comp in 2 days. I now shoot at Trubor so if it happens again it would take a barrel replacement.

broken sjc comp.JPG

12 hours ago, b18prl said:

Just by shooting it, It's a brand new DVC with less than 2k rounds, they saw the crack on the while cleaning it.

Mine had about 5K rounds when I found the crack, same place.

gerritm

• 3 months later...

So I noticed a crack forming on my DVC Open 9mm. Maybe 3000 rounds through it.  It's cracked where the arrow is pointing in the original posted pic. What's a typical turn around time?

So I noticed a crack forming on my DVC Open 9mm. Maybe 3000 rounds through it.  It's cracked where the arrow is pointing in the original posted pic. What's a typical turn around time?

Just received my DVC open back after some other warranty work...not a cracked slide. Total turnaround was about 3 weeks. STI paid the shipping both ways.