Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going to observe

90lxracer

I've decided to head out to a local USPSA match to just take it all in... I've been watching footage on youtube, but I think there's SO much more to the whole operation that needs to be seen first hand the a video of someone on the firing line and hearing "Shooter ready.... Stand by...*beep". and seeing them tear out of there and start shooting.. 

Does this seem weird at all?!?! lol 

Plus, I think seeing firsthand some of the gear, and talking to people should help a good bit as I figure out what I want to do as far as division and equipment goes. 

7 minutes ago, 90lxracer said:

No.  Talking to club members, observing the game, and learning is a great start to picking up any new sport.  Go do it.  Get a handle on the basic safety rules, basic game rules, required gear, and socialize with the regulars.  You'll make a better first impression than just showing up some weekend with gun & mags, and saying "hey guys, I'm new & have never done this before, can I play too?" 

1 hour ago, 90lxracer said:

I've decided to head out to a local USPSA match to just take it all in... I've been watching footage on youtube, but I think there's SO much more to the whole operation that needs to be seen first hand the a video of someone on the firing line and hearing "Shooter ready.... Stand by...*beep". and seeing them tear out of there and start shooting.. 

Plus, I think seeing firsthand some of the gear, and talking to people should help a good bit as I figure out what I want to do as far as division and equipment goes. 

It's a smart thing to do.  You can learn a lot by observing and watching the flow of things.  You also get a sense of what the responsibilities of the shooters that aren't up to shoot, i.e. taping targets, collecting brass, etc.  Most people are friendly and outgoing even if you're just a spectator.  Talk to some people, ask about the local club, see if they have any practice shoots during the week...that's always a good way to go through the motions of a match in a more relaxed setting.  Your local club and/or local matches should have some sort of new shooter orientation that you must attend before you can shoot a match anyway.  Take it all in and enjoy!

Edited by dbagwell

All the reasons listed here are lining up with what I was thinking.. 

I certainly don't mind helping with taping.. I think it'll be cool to see the "flow" of the match, and how things are handled, scored, and whatnot.. 

I've been heavily involved with drag racing for years at this point, and from that perspective, I know when a "new guy" shows up, you're wanting to put the best foot forward to help out. It's a tough thing class racing, and it's nice to see new faces. Seems as though there's carry over with this stuff as well. 

1 hour ago, rondog said:

The first time I went out to watch a 3G match I talked to a regular and he told me "you do this 1 time and you'll never go back to punching holes in paper again."

boy was he right about that. Have fun and get involved. 

The whole 3 gun thing is where I think I'll be moving to.. as a buddy of mine wants to get into it and it sounds like a blast (litterally). It was sugested by Hi-Powered Jack to maybe check out some USPSA stuff while getting started.. and in looking at it.. I think that's some great advice. 

Edited by 90lxracer

• 3 weeks later...

I was the guy that just showed up and said I want to play.  I did study the rules and made sure to seem humble and always help out.  For me I learned far more from doing than I think I would of done just watching.  

The guys in my group were great and I appreciated the help 

nothing wrong with doing a little recon before jumping in.  but most people i've seen doing that were disappointed they didn't just bring their gear and join in the fun.  one venue a guy came to spectate the morning match but halfway thru that went home got his stuff and played in the afternoon match.

So to revisit this.. yes.. I've pretty much gone off the deep end I've been binge reading, researching blah blah blah.. At times I can be "Ready, Fire, Aim" with stuff.. and this may be it .. Hell.. this isn't more than a month old.. lol 

Things I have bought.. 

1: A race rig from the Stoeger pro shop.. I saw it first hand at the match and it was one of those things that "just have sense" . So DAA belt, 5 ghost pouches, and bladetech holster and the BOSS DOH. 

2: A CE range bag.. since I really didn't have a proper one

3: I traded away a vp9 that I wasn't going to use for a G34 that had warren tactical sights and 7 mags (my first glock) 

4: 2 extra a glock mags (of the 7, 4 were the goofy long ones) 

Then after shooting the glock.. and deciding I really didn't like it.. here's where things went sideways.. lol

5: I called Ben's pro shop again and bought a Tanfoglio Witness Elite Limited in 9mm, with 4 extra mags and holster.. 

I really liked the CZ's and how they handled.. and since I've settled on limited, with a transition to 3 gun with a buddy.. this "seemed" like a good move.. 

So.. I guess I've gone full retard.. 

Rounds fired in competition to date = 0 

I was kicking myself for not getting the rig in a kit. I got the same items now just paid a bit more than I would have If I got that set and I'm still down one mag pouch.

Get your safety check (if your area/section requires one, mine did) and go get into your first match. I shot my first uspsa after putting maybe 10 mags thru my carry gun? Couldn't hit a broad side of a barn but boy did I ever have fun!

Then the lust set in and I got me a true competition gun Cz 75 sp-01 shadow custom from Czc. Now I've gone further and getting into Carry optics. I'm seriously thinking why didn't I get into uspsa earlier.

I instead went into PRS which, is the biggest money pit ever. I've got well over 10k on one rifle lol. That's like my uspsa budget for 2-3 years !

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, bsand said:

I was kicking myself for not getting the rig in a kit. I got the same items now just paid a bit more than I would have If I got that set and I'm still down one mag pouch.

Get your safety check (if your area/section requires one, mine did) and go get into your first match. I shot my first uspsa after putting maybe 10 mags thru my carry gun? Couldn't hit a broad side of a barn but boy did I ever have fun!

Then the lust set in and I got me a true competition gun Cz 75 sp-01 shadow custom from Czc. Now I've gone further and getting into Carry optics. I'm seriously thinking why didn't I get into uspsa earlier.

I instead went into PRS which, is the biggest money pit ever. I've got well over 10k on one rifle lol. That's like my uspsa budget for 2-3 years !

As stupid as this may sound.. all of this ends up being an economy of scale. In a way.. I'm not really proud to say.. coming from, and still seriously involved  in drag racing..  the pistol stuff is *inexpensive* by comparison.. my one glaring case.. I had spend 35K getting an engine done.. At the time it was a VERY trick piece.. only to have it expire on the dyno, destroying it, having never made a pass.. 

Before it died.. lol

• 2 weeks later...

My home range has a new shooters class (Intro to action shooting), all you have to do is bring safety gear and ammo. If you have a gun and rig fine, if you don't we'll give you a loaner. You will sit in a short class session and go thru the USPSA Rules and range command familiarization. After that the RO will help you (walk you) thru some stages a couple of times. It will be awesome if all the ranges provided the same class.

My home range has a new shooters class (Intro to action shooting), all you have to do is bring safety gear and ammo. If you have a gun and rig fine, if you don't we'll give you a loaner. You will sit in a short class session and go thru the USPSA Rules and range command familiarization. After that the RO will help you (walk you) thru some stages a couple of times. It will be awesome if all the ranges provided the same class.

My range does that too, but costs 75$. It's called a safety check, and required to shoot any action shooting events in the back range. Also required for back range access (action bays).

Wow! that cost more than an practice match fee. Over here is $20, thats just a regular public line fee. So literally the class is free. I watched a lot of matches over you tube and read the USPSA hand book, after that I took the class and finally jumped head first in the sport. Anyways, pay attention to how they run matches at your range, don't be afraid to ask questions. Theres always people willing to help as long as you want to learn. Take your time and good luck.

I believe the new shooter class is a good idea, maybe start holding them every other month or so, different weekend than the regular matches. Be a good idea to set up stages to walk the shooters through just like a regular match but don't use a timer so the pressure doesn't come in to play.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wow! that cost more than an practice match fee. Over here is $20, thats just a regular public line fee. So literally the class is free. I watched a lot of matches over you tube and read the USPSA hand book, after that I took the class and finally jumped head first in the sport. Anyways, pay attention to how they run matches at your range, don't be afraid to ask questions. Theres always people willing to help as long as you want to learn. Take your time and good luck.

It is basically a 1 on 1 training session. First match is free too tho.