Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggest powder that meters well on 550 for 6.5 CM. And dies..

Danattherock

Looking to make some practice ammo with 139 scenars, for PRS and similar steel club matches. Only loaded 223 on my 550, using H335 and 8208. Happy with how they metered. Curious about suitable powders for 6.5. Use H4350 in primary load, but know it wont meter well. I have Varget, CFE-223, and H335 on hand. Anyone have any die suggestions, happy to hear. Will be buying everything soon. Thanks for any suggestion. 

Dan

If 8208 meters good enough for you, use it. I've used 760 and 2700 for practice loads and these ball powders meter so nicely. They are temp sensitive so I go nowhere near max.

Have to say I cringe at using Scenars for practice loads. Lots of cheaper Hornady bullet options.

3 hours ago, 57K said:

If you check online data like Nosler's, you'll see a couple of great ball powders that are very dense and fine grained, just a tad faster and slower than W760/H414. The 2 powders are from Ramshot. Big Game is just slightly faster in burnrate that W760 while sometimes charges will be as high or slightly higher. No matter which of the common 6.5mm calibers we're talking about, Ramshot Hunter works extremely well while chemically treated to rival extruded propellants in temperature stability. It also gives higher case fill sometimes even slightly compressed charges for better load density.

57k, have you actually used Ramshot Hunter and validated this? A temp--stable ball powder? Is it sub-moa accurate? Curious why everyone hasn't gone to this.

I would not use any press mounted powder thrower for precision ammo, paper punching or hunting. I would trickle each charge. I do use a progressive (650) for brass processing and loading for my precision 260 ammo, just do each powder throw with a little scoop and trickle up, then dump into the case and seat the bullet.

Generally you will find that the most temp consistent and most accurate powders for precision ammo (varget, 4350, 8208, 4831, etc) will be the stick type that don't meter well in a press mounted powder charger.

jmho

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I suggest not making practice ammo, I think all ammo loaded should be worthy of using in matches, save for 1 or 2 rounds that don't make gauge.

I stand by my post.

As for dies, I use Redding neck die, body die, and the Lee press mounted trim die that trims, chamfers, and deburrs at once, and a Redding bullet seat die.

And I don't need to be corrected by self appointed forum police that have ZERO suggestions for the OP...

jj

760 will sorta work.  But you're trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Almost  everyone uses H4350 with 140 bullets for a reason. And they are loading with the most accurate powder dispenser they can afford.  Practicing with the same load they compete with. No really a critique, more of a statement of fact.    

6 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I suggest not making practice ammo, I think all ammo loaded should be worthy of using in matches, save for 1 or 2 rounds that don't make gauge.

I stand by my post.

As for dies, I use Redding neck die, body die, and the Lee press mounted trim die that trims, chamfers, and deburrs at once, and a Redding bullet seat die.

And I don't need to be corrected by self appointed forum police that have ZERO suggestions for the OP...

jj

Not trying to be "the police" at all, and I do value your opinion JJ. I've followed a great many of your posts in learning about "Heavy/He-man".

Just frustrating when you pose a question (which seems to acknowledge that your plan may be counter to the mainstream) and everyone "answers" your question by telling you that your plan is flawed.

Win760 or H414 to answer OP's question as to a powder that will meter well.

• 1 month later...

Have you tried Hodgdon H100V? I've read up on it and it seems to be a good option. I bought a pound and I'm trying it. Starting with 40.0 gr with Berger 140 gr VLD (#26401). Hornady brass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk