Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chronograph Rules and setup in matches

tanks

I will be shooting Area 1 and 2 this year, my first major matches. I want to make sure that my loads are legal (will be shooting for 170pf to be sure). Now, I have a LabRadar chronograph and I can set the measuring intervals. Looking at the rule book, Appendix C2 it says the closest sky screen must not be less than 10 feet but there is no maximum.  I was planning to use a measurement set at 12' for my PF calculations.

However, since there is no maximum length in the rules I can see not making the power factor even with an extra 5PF cushion if weather conditions combined with someone setting the chrono at 20-30' or so (a loss of ~30 fps is what I noticed between the muzzle and at 30').

So, what is a typical setup distance for chrono at matches?

I can assure you that the chrono guys at the LIII and above will ensure it is right at the 10' mark, +/- 1-2'. Out of all the years I've been to matches, I've never seen a chrono over 15' and that was due to the terrain where it was located at.

Having been in the chrono shack at Rio many times, it seems to be in the 10'-ish range. I use 3 paces for my chrono and never saw a bid difference from Rio. The few times I chronoed at St George, the coffin was set about the same.

if you use the labradar to figure your power factor, it's at the 10' Mark.

if you take the reading directly from the labradar, it's muzzle velocity, so it's slightly higher than at 10'.

The newer chronograph from CED is now recommending 12 feet rather than 10, but that is a rounding error for what you want. It will be interesting to see what the use of radar will do as far as chrono set-ups. Set one up as part of the stage since the unit would not be at risk which was always the issue with the skyscreen types. Hmmm.

12 hours ago, JayWord said:

Set one up as part of the stage since the unit would not be at risk which was always the issue with the skyscreen types. Hmmm.

That could be entertaining at a local match to say the least.

On 2/8/2017 at 0:53 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

"Why were there seven DQs out of 21 shooters, Bob?! What happened?"

no one gets DQ'd for not making power factor.

if you chrono below 165 you shoot Minor, if you go below 125, you shoot for no score.