Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Gen3 Type Guide Rod in SSP - Finally an answer

Pilot172

I’ve searched numerous threads to see if the gen3 style captured steel guide rod (like the one by Jager Products) is legal in SSP in a gen4 gun.  I know the polymer one is legal, but the steel rod is unclear.   I submitted my question to IDPA.  It took 2 months for a reply, but they said the steel rod is legal in SSP.  Here is my original question, citing the 3 rules that effect the steel guide rod.

“I would like to change out my dual recoil spring assembly in my Glock 34 to a single spring assembly.  They come in steel or polymer.  Can I use either one in SSP?  8.2.1.3.4 says "Recoil spring guide rods and dual spring recoil systems made of material that is no heavier than stainless steel" are allowed.  Steel is lighter than stainless steel, so steel should be OK.  But from the non-inclusive list, 8.2.1.4.5 Slide inserts to accommodate a different recoil assembly design.  I'm not sure what is meant by slide insert.  The new single spring assembly will drop in place of the old dual assembly, so no insert?  Also from the non-inclusive list is 8.2.1.4.1 "Externally visible modifications other than those listed in the Permitted Modifications section".  Does this mean steel is not allowed because the stock rod is polymer?”

Here is the response from Robert Ray:  “As long as your replacement spring does not have and insert, something that makes the guide rod hole smaller for using a Gen3 guide rod, you would be good to go.”

I'm keeping a copy of this email just in case I get checked!