Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Lock back

dmshozer1

How do you get a STI Edge to lock back on the last rd. fired?

I have the black stock followers in the STI tubes.

I have tried every follower you can name. I want to shoot this gun in steel challenge matches so it has to

lock back reliably.

31 minutes ago, sitw said:

Does it ever lock back and just not consistent?  Not sure about STI, but some builders modify the slide stop.  Due to this mod it will never lock back the slide.

It never locks back,

When I shot limited with it that was okay. Now I want it to lock back but no luck

5 minutes ago, darkvibe said:

Your slide stop is probably trimmed back so it won't catch the follower. Did you buy the gun used?

Bought it new,

Had it a very long time and cannot remember if it ever locked back. I have never replaced the slide stop but I did notice that at some point I ground off the followers so it would not lock back.I now have new stock black STI followers. The new followers do not push up the slide stop when I put a mag in so maybe at some point I ground off the stop but it looks un touched.

7 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

why would you want it to lock back for steel challenge? if you actually shoot to slide lock in steel, you have made an egregious error of some sort (possibly several), why would you want to advertise that error to all observers?

I meant to say I have entered an all steel match. 30 pieces of steel in each pit using 10 rd mags so lock back is important.

Just now, dmshozer1 said:

I meant to say I have entered an all steel match. 30 pieces of steel in each pit using 10 rd mags so lock back is important.

Got it. I misunderstood and was thinking 5 round steel challenge strings. Yeah, if you have 10-round mags and 30 round stages, I think lockback is pretty important.

31 minutes ago, Trent1k1 said:

Replace the slide stop.  That along with new followers should take care of it.

Agree,

I googled a picture of a stock slide stop. Mine is ground off.

Looks like a 9mm and 40 stop are interchangeable. If so, in the morning I will put one of my 9mm ones in to try.

Thanks

47 minutes ago, davsco said:

Sounds like psa shootout? ?!!

Counting will be your friend. Reload before running dry.  Although I've been known to lose count here and there. ..

You got it,

Yup, easy to forget how many rds you have fired.

i'm no gunsmith by any means, but from what i've read here, the problem with slidelock reloads in 2011s is that the mag can go up too far and hit the ejector.  it took many years, but my sti steelmaster ejector broke at last year's PSA match, presumably from the slidelock reloads when i lost count.

6 hours ago, davsco said:

i'm no gunsmith by any means, but from what i've read here, the problem with slidelock reloads in 2011s is that the mag can go up too far and hit the ejector.  it took many years, but my sti steelmaster ejector broke at last year's PSA match, presumably from the slidelock reloads when i lost count.

Never ends does it?

8 hours ago, davsco said:

Shouldn't the basepad prevent overinsertion?

1 hour ago, racknrider said:

You run the risk of the basepad preventing the mag from locking in.

19 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

Agree,

I googled a picture of a stock slide stop. Mine is ground off.

Looks like a 9mm and 40 stop are interchangeable. If so, in the morning I will put one of my 9mm ones in to try.

Thanks

Just what I figured.  Yes, 9mm and .40 are the same, .45 is just slightly different.

Edited by sitw

2 hours ago, racknrider said:

no, it's such a fine line between mag locking in and mag over inserting. if you have set up the mags so the base pad is the stop you may find you get quite a few mags dropping out when you thought you had seated them...

• 1 month later...

put your magazine in a vice ,with the top facing up. carefully, with a pair of thin plyers ,expand the lips of the tube outwardly, ever so slightly. this should "fill" the space where the lside stop engages and will lock your slide back.worked for me.

3 hours ago, Ozy said:

put your magazine in a vice ,with the top facing up. carefully, with a pair of thin plyers ,expand the lips of the tube outwardly, ever so slightly. this should "fill" the space where the lside stop engages and will lock your slide back.worked for me.

Thanks - I will give it a try

On 2/7/2017 at 8:12 AM, dmshozer1 said:

You got it,

Yup, easy to forget how many rds you have fired.

Practice for PSA....count 9, reload, 10, reload, 10, reload, 10, etc. Works until you have a miss and lose track. Ask me how I know. :huh: