Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing myself

Steveandzero

Hello all,

I have been shooting for fun a long time and finaly got bit by the competition bug a few years ago. Mostly CMP rifle and pistol until last summer when I did a USPSA match and some 3 gun at my local club and love it. Other than practice (a lot) what advice would you give a new shooter in USPSA. 

Thanks,

Steve (and his dog Zero)

Welcome! My advice is, prepare to be humbled! USPSA is a game of time and points. It takes awhile to get a lot of points in a short amount of time. Hang in there, be safe and be patient.

Welcome aboard :)

Practice doesn't help    :ph34r:

Practicing proper techniques helps a great deal ....   ;)

I'd suggest reading some great books (no, not War & Peace) -

but some books by the shooting experts ...

OR, take a class with an expert.

Lots of dry firing practice.

AND, get some decent gear.    Whatja shootin'?

• 1 month later...

Hey Hi-power Jack

will you please elaborate on your last post. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. 

What is proper technique when it comes to practice?

any books you would recommend?

dry fire. I've done hours of dry fire with rifle. Prone, sitting, and kneeling all take time to get right for that one EXACT position. In uspsa pistol it seems like everything is on the move and intentionally done to keep you a bit off balance, how do you practice dry fire for this?

Gear is all a hodgepodge from other shooting sports, I did pick up a used DAA holster and mag holders from the classifieds here on this sight, I guess I should donate some cash now ?  

The pistol is a used SV sight tracker, but it's still got a lot of life left in it. I do need more mbx mags though, if you know somebody....

Hey Steve, there's an old saying: You can't shoot fast enough to make up for a miss.  Take your time and go for A's.  You'll be surprised how high you can place when you're not hosing.  Speed will come. 

Fbg001

yes! I agree,  I would rather go home with all A's and take a loooong time then be the fastest guy there with zero points. 

The scoring thing dose have me a bit confused. Is there a thred for general easy to understand rules, or should I search for them each individually? 

Steve, there's no shortage of excellent posts on this forum about scoring, and some of them get pretty deep into the weeds.  For a quick and easy to understand explanation, a quick google search came up with these: 

http://www.rbgc.org/USPSA/USPSAscoring.htm

http://www.travis-tomasie.com/hit-factors-and-uspsa-ipsc-scoring.html