Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How small can a 2011 grip/trigger get?

sudburyshooter

Hey guy I'm looking into buying a STI 2011 and have no gun stores near me that carry them. I have found some dimensions online but they are only of one with a standard grip and standard trigger.

Grip width, measured side-to-side, approximately halfway up (at the STI logo):
STI: 1.28"

Grip measured front-to-back, perpendicular to the mainspring housing, just below the grip safety:
STI: 2.07"

Grip circumference, measured by wrapping a string just below the grip safety:
STI: 5 11/16"

Trigger reach, shortest distance from surface of grip safety to trigger face:
STI: 2.725"

Does anyone have these dimensions but with a small grip and short trigger?
I currently use a M&P with a small back strap and apex trigger, it fits me well but I'm looking for something else. I just want to be sure before ordering one online that it will fit.

Call and talk with Jason at Extreme Shooters, they produce the grip that is used on the STI DVC guns which they make in an Extra Small DVC Advantage.  As for the trigger you can go with an SVI trigger and get the short flat insert for it or if you have a gunsmith close you can also go with an STI Gunsmth Blank trigger that he can take some length off until you are comfortable with the reach.  If your hands are that small you will also be challenged by the mag release button.  Go with the Dawson Posi-Lock mag release which is drilled and tapped and use an STI oversized mag release button.  On the Dawson Posi-Lock use the 190 length, the longer one is harder to release the mag because of the travel associated with the longer length.  I use the standard DVC grip with all of the mentioned components due to small hands.  Good Luck

Can you get your hands on some at a match? 

I was in the same boat recently.  So much of these measurements are within small fractions of each other, combined with the differences of shape, within the same dimensions, that various grips can feel drastically different from each other.  If at all possible, try to get your hands on as many different grips.  Yes, it can be weird asking, but shooters are the nicest people around, and it beats dropping serious coin on something you're not sure about.

My wife has the smallest hands I've ever seen on an adult human.

Her gun:

Extreme extra small grip.

SVI trigger with short curved insert

Go-Gun thumbrest--set WAY back and machined to clear slide stop

Low pad thumb safety (Brownells)

Mitchell right side mag release

sdshooter, on my new Aka limited gun I replaced the grip with an Extreme Shooter's grip and had my gunsmith buddy take an STI gunsmith blank as far down as he could.  It is pretty short and reach for me is perfect and he also serrated  the front of the trigger. If you get further along and want to pursue this trigger option shoot me a PM and I will get you in touch with my buddy. Good luck

Walter

I have pretty small hands as well.  I've put the Extreme extra small grip and a short trigger on my Marauder.  The only issue I have is reaching the mag release without shifting my grip.  I've gotten used to it and I'm willing to battle that for all the other advantages of the gun.  BTW, I'm about to sell this gun so let me know if you're shopping for a used one. 

• 11 months later...

Anyone tried doing their own thumb notch?  I'm listening to Enos' audio book at the moment and I think he said he has a thumb notch cut in all of his grips. My mags are not always dropping freely (but drop fine if I press release with my off-hand). I just ordered a posi-lock .190 and STI oversized button, but I'm wondering if that might be the next step.

Edited by jkcolo22

If you want to try for the smallest possible grip then there are two additional steps that make a huge difference. The first is to cut away excess material in the plastic or metal grip behind the trigger. This is the large section of material that lies directly in front of the trigger bow. A short trigger finger often gets caught on the square corner. Secondly cut away the bottom part of the grip and mainspring housing to make a bobbed grip. It is amazing to feel how much of a difference these two mods make. I can send pictures when I am back from my trip next week.