Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Limited

harleyfan

I just bought a used STI DVC Limited 9mm. The gun is in great shape, but I noticed that the TIN finish is gone from the feed ramp and underside of barrel hood. I wonder if this wore off or did some enterprising individual think this area needed to be polished?

I doubt the finish being gone from your barrel ramp is due to bullet contact since the bullet's certainly not hitting the entire ramp surface.  Sure looks to me like someone modified or at least polished the ramp.  Also TiN is a pretty hard surface treatment and should take a LOT of rounds before it starts showing wear from contact with copper/lead/etc.

To be honest I did not really make a point to look. I've put a little over 3000 rounds through the gun and the feed ramp is pretty uniformly polished. I haven't polished it and a pretty reasonable point was made that it wld take a lot of rounds to "polish" it and it would not be so uniform. I'm pretty confident that it looked he same when I got it new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My DVC Open came with a brightly polished feed ramp that wasn't TiN coated out of the box.  The TiN seems pretty durable to me so far. I have been scraping away at the compensator with bronze brushes and a brass scraper to get the carbon out and haven't managed to put a scratch on it yet.  Also not a single scratch or sign or wear on the outside of the barrel with several hundred rounds through it. My stainless KKM bull barrel showed pronounced signs of wear after the first 50 rounds.  The TiN coating seems to be in the last half inch of the bore and in the chamber and is wearing there but the coating there is presumably just an unavoidable by-product of the coating process.  At first glance I thought I had thick copper or even rust in the end of the bore!

3 hours ago, Krumble said:

My DVC Open came with a brightly polished feed ramp that wasn't TiN coated out of the box.  The TiN seems pretty durable to me so far. I have been scraping away at the compensator with bronze brushes and a brass scraper to get the carbon out and haven't managed to put a scratch on it yet.  Also not a single scratch or sign or wear on the outside of the barrel with several hundred rounds through it. My stainless KKM bull barrel showed pronounced signs of wear after the first 50 rounds.  The TiN coating seems to be in the last half inch of the bore and in the chamber and is wearing there but the coating there is presumably just an unavoidable by-product of the coating process.  At first glance I thought I had thick copper or even rust in the end of the bore!

Mine came this way also. All polished up. Been very tough so far. No other signs of wear.

gerritm

• 7 months later...

Just looked at my dvc limited. Supposedly just over 500 rounds through it. Feed ramp looks like it has been polished but it still has the tin coat. It's shiny, not matte like the rest of the barrel. Reckon sti polishes them if needed from the factory?

I would be surprised if they wore off after just a couple thousand rounds. Talking to a guy that does these coatings for multiple industries, often times people think the coating is wearing off but it's just metal being deposited onto them and covering them. That said, they are only ~5-10 microns thick (0.0002-0.0005").