Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules

Onepocket

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, PatJones said:

So I was wondering if I can make this modification to my production gun......

Yes, of course.  Go right ahead.  Anything you want.  It's only a local match, anyway.  Who'll know?  Why bother?

(Need to take my meds - the voices say so...)

• 1 month later...

If you don't follow 100% of the rules 100% of the time then there is no reason for any of the rules and it is, therefore, another form of the sport altogether.  This does not mean, however, that we don't follow Troy's rule number one (don't be a D---) while implementing the rules.

I'm in the 99% crowd, and there have been times when we've done the morally correct and expedient thing instead of "by the book."  In each case, everyone understood the actual rule, and agreed why we were going to go the other way.  Oftentimes, this is usually because a local match won't have the same level of "make damn sure everything is working properly before the match starts."  It happens.  I tell my squads that we aren't just training the shooters, but we are also training the RO's, and we will use local matches as teachable moments.

Another recent example, also, was that I noticed a brand new shooter (on the second stage) starting his CZ from cocked-and-locked.  Upon finding out he was Production, we had a teachable moment.  This guy was so green he had ZERO advantage in the two stages (no Classifiers) that he started from cocked-and-locked.  No one wanted to penalize him or move him to another class for that ignorant rule violation, and we didn't.  Flame on.  But we also don't have the attitude of "it's just a local match, you can keep doing that," either.

"100% or nothing" is a false dichotomy.

Edited by MAC702

10 hours ago, MAC702 said:

This guy was so green he had ZERO advantage in the two stages (no Classifiers) that he started from cocked-and-locked.  No one wanted to penalize him or move him to another class for that ignorant rule violation, and we didn't. 

:bow:   Are you sure that the use of logic is allowed?    :P

There's a reason for rules - nit picking is NOT one of them.

Congratulations sir, I would be honored to shoot at one of your shoots    :) 

I indicated earlier I am in the 100% crowd, but thinking through the many, many Tuesday-Friday night LV 1 matches I have RO'ed and particpated, about the only item not 100% is popper calibration.  That is the one item that we do not calibrate and if there is obvious error with the popper we call REF and have them re shoot, which by the way happens rarely.  Otherwise, it is 100% following the rules. 

I am a tolerant 100% CRO/RO.  What a BS response from me!!!

Finger, 90 degrees, sweeping, and classifiers I am pretty hard core.

BUT, at a recent match, a PCC competitor had the gun puke.  So I stopped the shooter and had them start again, then puke again, stopped again.  I gave them a reshoot with a different mag/gun combo.

I violated the tenets of USPSA.  Several long time and experienced shooters commented they would have done the same thing.  But technically I was wrong.

Local match and not a classifier so I was ok with my decision.

Edited by pjb45

20 hours ago, MAC702 said:

<eloquent and informative post snipped>

"100% or nothing" is a false dichotomy.

I agree with you 100%. Safety, and getting classifiers right is imho pretty important. Since we don't give away fabulous cash prizes, most people at our club don't have an issue with having a shooter (esp a new shooter) re-shoot a stage rather than zero it if something goes wacked with their gun, although in those instances, it is important to make sure the shooter knows that it is a teaching/fun moment and not standard procedure, and they are expected to get their shiznit together in the future.