Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig MPX - who as experience w/Gen1 mags in a Gen2 carbine?

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, SergioSF said:

On my Gen2 MPX, the Gen1 mags run perfectly fine... as long as I used hotter/faster ammo.

If I used my soft 147gr loads, they will occasionally hang up and doublefeed, maybe 2-3 times per full mag. 

I had the exact same experience with 147s and my one Gen1 mag.  It would run factory ammo but not my 147 production loads.  I tried to sell it and couldn't even give it away (still have it if someone does want it).  The Gen2s have been 100% reliable no matter the load I've put in them. 

The problem with the Gen1 mags are the tapered feed lips. As long as the Bullets were Sammi spec or longer they feed just fine out of my Gen1 mags, if I was loading short out of necessity when using 147s or 105 the bullet came off the feed lip before the tip of the bullet made it into the chamber. Sammi spec 115s or 124s feed just fine out of either generation mag. Best deal I found on the Gen2 mags was through Midway, what a deal at $48.00?

6 hours ago, NinerRider said:

The problem with the Gen1 mags are the tapered feed lips. As long as the Bullets were Sammi spec or longer they feed just fine out of my Gen1 mags, if I was loading short out of necessity when using 147s or 105 the bullet came off the feed lip before the tip of the bullet made it into the chamber. Sammi spec 115s or 124s feed just fine out of either generation mag. Best deal I found on the Gen2 mags was through Midway, what a deal at $48.00?

Right, yes that makes sense.

In my case, the higher velocity of hot factory loads helped the 147gr from Speer Lawman overcome the short length issue.

But no bueno if they are short and soft. (there's a joke in there somewhere)

• 1 year later...

I thought I would bump this up with my findings. I bought some gen 1 20 rounds mags to try out for practice. With my truncated cone lead coated bullets loaded to 1.100 COL I got an occasional misfeed. They were a little better loaded out to 1.150 but not 100%. With my FMJ 124 gr loaded to 1.150" the gen1 mags were perfect.

My gen 2 mags run every thing I put in them. It looks like the gen 1 mags can be made to run in a gen 2 gun with the right length and bullet type.