Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig legion for limited

Mulkey

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i have an SAO Legion and i'm currently debating picking up a used .40 "upper" for it so i can shoot major VS just leaving it as is.

It's a joy to shoot but the lack of magwell etc make me feel at a gear disadvantage with all the Limited cool-gun 2011s

To hit a little on what @librarian45 mentioned. Lack of aftermarket support can be a deal breaker when you are looking at shooting limited. While the SAO is an outstanding weapon you will most likely be at a disadvantage if there is a lack of aftermarket parts support geared towards competition. Keep in mind I said "most likely", I know of people that can reload faster with a production class weapon than I can with my limited and a magwell. If you can find aftermarket support for recoil, sights and ergonomics (magwell, trigger etc.) then go for it. Just my 2 cents.

On 4/11/2017 at 7:29 PM, PatJones said:

The 40 mags don't hold enough boom booms. The mag bodies for the STIs are wider and thus hold more ammunition in a 140mm length than any of the Euro guns.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I am just curious. How often is mag capacity a concern at USPSA matches?

I shoot steel challenge and 3 gun mainly so I run a SAO tanfo in 9mm, I  have never had a time where capacity has been an issue.  

I do have a CZ TS in .40 but, I have only shot USPSA with it twice (used it plenty of steel matches though)

both matches did not have any stages where the lack of capacity wold have been a deal breaker.  I am new to USPSA  (it is very different from steel challenge in a lot of ways) so I am sure I could have timed my reloads better anyways.

Would a .40 holding only 14 or 15 have an advantage compared to shooting limited minor with higher capacity?

I have been shooting limited division 9mm minor (p320) since I started shooting matches. 40 has a huge advantage over those shooting minor, it comes down to scoring where you see the real disadvantage see below scoring per zone, per major and minor.

Zone    Major    Minor

A            5            5
B            4            3
C            4            3
D            2            1
M         -10          -10
NS       -10          -10

Now when considering mag cap, minor has an advantage but determining how much of an advantage is difficult. It has no affect on target scoring and considering that in Limited you can carry as many mags as you want the advantage is small and only affects stage time. What I will say is look at the results for any national match and you will never see someone win the match shooting minor in limited division. Now if you are shooting local matches you can be very competitive against local shooters while shooting minor but once you start moving up minor will hurt you. I am happy I started shooting USPSA with minor but I am now at the point where I want to move to a 40 asap.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, PatJones said:

The 40 mags don't hold enough boom booms. The mag bodies for the STIs are wider and thus hold more ammunition in a 140mm length than any of the Euro guns.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If you can afford an STI or even better an Atlas Gun Works 2011 then for sure go for it. I have been saving for some time now (damn military pay haha) to purchase an Atlas 2011. Until then I am sticking with my P320 and converting to the X5 grip module, slide and barrel in 40 for next season.  

I am just curious. How often is mag capacity a concern at USPSA matches?....(snip)....Would a .40 holding only 14 or 15 have an advantage compared to shooting limited minor with higher capacity?

The rules state no more than 8 rounds/position, that means most stages are designed with positions that require 8 rounds. With 15 rounds you're reloading every time you move, just like L10. A 40 caliber STI holds 20 rounds with tuned magazines. If you only need to reload your STI once and have plenty of makeup shots, it does lead to faster times.

• 1 month later...

I have a limcat 2011 and it is a great gun but I am left handed a I have broken the safety in it 3 times. I have had right handers shoot it with no problems but I can't lighten up my grip so after a few matches I get trigger freeze. The last safety was $140 and $60 to have it installed. I'm just over the hole 2011 thing and want to go back to having fun.