Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who's shooting 147g out of a CZ?

muncie21

I've been testing several different loads to shoot in my CZ SP01 this spring.  I've started experimenting with 147 FP coated bullets from Bayou with VV N320 and found them to shoot very comfortably. 

I'm shooting mixed brass, so there are variations in case and OAL. My only concern with staying with this load is the depth that I need to seat the bullet to pass the plunk/spin test in my CZ.  For the folks that shoot CZs and 147 bullets, what are your thoughts/recommendations?

147 coated flat point SNS. 1.15 oal 3.2 titegroup. 

Loading shorter gave me just enough ftf's to screw up your match score and make you crazy. Have used that recipe with a compact and an 85 and 2 CTS LS's. Plunk test with that particular bullet was just a smidge past 1.16 depending on the particular gun. 

Also use SNS 147 HiTek NLG coated FPs.  I can load out to almost 1.16" in all 4 of my CZs so i aim for 1.145" over 3.8gr WSF.  Shoots well in all my 9s- Glocks, HK, Sig, STI, and CZs.

Edited by JLeeCZ

Thanks for the feedback!  From the looks of it, we are all pretty much in the same ballpark with regard to powder charge and OAL.

I was a bit concerned with case pressure due to the minimum amount of case space left when seating the bullet. Looks like  there are folks that have experience making this work.  I'll be extra cautious when seating to ensure I don't compress the powder.

Xtreme 147gr plated bullets w/ 3.6gr Win-231 loaded to 1.155 out of my Shadow Custom ... soft/accurate load that I've ran for awhile. I'm actually able to load longer with these bullets ( 1.165) but since I load for my Shadow and my brothers Sp-01 I keep it at that length for both our guns .

Edited by Hi_Im_Vinh

if you're shooting a plated or jacketed round nose, no need.

it's been my experience though that shooting any truncated cone, hollow point or almost any coated psuedo round nose flat point require you to load very very short. running into issues like the OP stated. ream your barrel and this becomes a non issue. for $30 and less than 30 minutes of time you get a wonderful amount of freedom in developing and choosing loads. especially if you're shooting that load out of multiple guns and platforms.

I load Xtreme 147s in various CZ/Tanfoglio. My P09 being the most picky. Requires me to load the shortest OAL from all others. I load 3.0gr of TG @ 1.10". It works on all my CZs/Tanfoglio no problem. 

I load 147 Xtreme RNs out to 1.15 regularly.  I've gone to 1.165 with no problem.  Like others have said bullet profile is the limiting factor.  If you want to shoot a particular bullet at a particular length at which it doesn't want to fit then go the reaming route others have suggested.

8 hours ago, rowdyb said:

if you're shooting a plated or jacketed round nose, no need.

it's been my experience though that shooting any truncated cone, hollow point or almost any coated psuedo round nose flat point require you to load very very short. running into issues like the OP stated. ream your barrel and this becomes a non issue. for $30 and less than 30 minutes of time you get a wonderful amount of freedom in developing and choosing loads. especially if you're shooting that load out of multiple guns and platforms.

The way I read the OP, he doesn't have an actual issue.  Just a perception that going shorter is somehow bad.  It probably isn't.  Just go shorter.

36 minutes ago, adamge said:

The way I read the OP, he doesn't have an actual issue.  Just a perception that going shorter is somehow bad.  It probably isn't.  Just go shorter.

True Adamge.  No issues currently, however when I review tolerances against my reloading practices (mixed brass, different bullet vendors) I was a bit concerned (maybe cautious is a better word) about using this bullet/powder combo in a 9mm case- so I wanted to get input from the folks that shoot (and have more experience) more than I.

I didn't have safety issues. I had qc and gun to gun compatibility issues. I didn't want a cz load a pcc load a glock load etc.

I wanted a load. Making my cz take a longer load by reaming the barrel solved all those issues.

22 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I didn't have safety issues. I had qc and gun to gun compatibility issues. I didn't want a cz load a pcc load a glock load etc.

I wanted a load. Making my cz take a longer load by reaming the barrel solved all those issues.

Did you do your own reaming or send it out?  If you sent it out, where did you send it?  I'm in the same boat with my Stock 2, and the go-to Tanfo guy is unavailable for several weeks.

1 hour ago, LegionShooter said:

Did you do your own reaming or send it out?  If you sent it out, where did you send it?  I'm in the same boat with my Stock 2, and the go-to Tanfo guy is unavailable for several weeks.

Pm me.. I can get it reamed for you .