Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PPQ M2 for IDPA CCP

Pilot172

I don't know much about the PPQ M2 but know they are gaining popularity in the CCP division.  They also are awarding cash for certain matches (about 10 per year) if you place 1st or 2nd.  The WI IDPA championship is one of them.  I placed 2nd there last year and would have won cash had I been shooting a Walther.  I shoot a Glock 19 now.  For those who have the PPQ, how do you like it?  I heard the stock trigger is nice.  I'm thinking about trying one out, but I do love my Glock.  There are several matches on the Walther list this year that I'll be attending.

Canik makes a decent gun, but I think it is a statement that needs to pretty much always be followed with "for the price".  If you put them on a table with all of the other options and say that each gun is the same price, I think you'll quickly see that the Canik isn't quite on the same level just yet.  The ergos are still a little off and some of the other areas are still slightly lacking.  It's not a bad product, but when you're talking about a competition gun that will have over $1000 worth of ammo go through it every year (at minimum), does saving that $100-$200 really seem to be a worthwhile reason to not have a slightly better pistol.

Again, not saying that Canik stinks, but I think the makers seem to understand what their product is made to do and have priced it accordingly.  It's a great "my first pistol" or cheap back up gun, but isn't really ready to jump to the front of the pack as a competitive pistol.  Walther has been making some odd decisions lately too though, so I'm not sure what to tell you between those two.  

I haven't owned one, but I have spent a full day shooting one and running drills.  Having owned 18 different semi-auto 9mm's I can say that it felt lower tier to me.  Yep, some reviewers have said it's good.  Not too many that haven't included the "for the money" line.  Even less have said it's a better bet for competition than the PPQ or other such flavors.  Again, no one is trying to bash it and say it's a bad gun.  The ergos may be perfect for you and the "stepped chamber and OACL restrictions" may be a big deal to you, but that seems like an attempt to point out a singular area where "your" gun is better.  

I don't see it becoming a popular pistol even in that size format.  The Glock 19 has a massive following, the M&P is well established, the P320 just got cemented into the scene, and the P10C and PPQ will soak up most of what's left.  That's just the way it goes.  I get it though.  I shoot a Grand Power and love it, but it will take a major market shift for it to ever catch up to some of the major players.   I also think that, whether deserved or not, the Canik being a Turkish pistol is setting some folks against it.  I've had a few Turkish guns.  One was absolutely great.  The other, not so much.  Not sure that point of origin had much to do with that.

So, the Canik is a great pistol....for the money.  I just don't think that those savings are worth it to a competitor.  To each their own though and good luck!

I know a lot of production shooters and not a single one of them reloads 9mm minor, but maybe that's different where you are.  My understanding though is production is considered about the only way to shoot competitively without reloading.   Seems odd to base your choice in production pistol solely on that to me.  I have no dog in the fight though.  I would choose, and have chosen, neither of the options being talked about. If I were to shoot production on a regular basis it would be with a Grand Power, CZ, or maybe even the Bersa.  I'm a hammer fired guy.

Wait... what????  Bersa should've used a different safety?  Ummmm, you can't start with the hammer back in production regardless of safety.  Between that and claiming that the Canik clones are better than CZ, it's starting to come across like Canik found a handloading hobbiest who could extol their virtues for a few bucks.  And the P30L....????  Even HK fanboys don't run those.

Also, it's fairly well known that several companies offerings easily make minor power with consistency and.... You know what, never mind.  I gotta stop.  I hope the check didn't bounce.

4 hours ago, Pistolpete9 said:

I know a lot of production shooters and not a single one of them reloads 9mm minor, but maybe that's different where you are.  My understanding though is production is considered about the only way to shoot competitively without reloading.   Seems odd to base your choice in production pistol solely on that to me.  I have no dog in the fight though.  I would choose, and have chosen, neither of the options being talked about. If I were to shoot production on a regular basis it would be with a Grand Power, CZ, or maybe even the Bersa.  I'm a hammer fired guy.

I know at least 100 9mm minor Production shooters, and every single one of them reload their own ammo. 

Thanks for the info guys.  Just a little extra info on me and why I asked about the PPQ.  The only reason I started to look in to the PPQ is because of the contingency money.  I actually won one of their matches on the list last year so thought it would be interesting have a chance at some cash.  That got me just to look at the PPQ, which I new nothing about before.  I like the trigger and the feel, but I also like my Glock 19 and shoot it well.  My G19 and G34 triggers are at 4.2 lbs with all OEM parts.  It's actually feels pretty good for a Glock.  I have several hundred dollars into my G19 including a Blacklist match barrel and AA magwell.  I was just curious if the PPQ is that much better, if any, than a Glock, or at least worth trying just to try another platform.  A few weeks ago I would have never ever considered anything else than my G19/34.  Just a week ago I got sponsored by Blacklist and they are sending me a G34 barrel, so I'll probably just stay with my Glock's.  I do reload all my own ammo.  I'm sponsored by Zero Bullets so reload using their bullets.  I thought most people reload their own ammo in competition.  Everyone I have talked to reloads.  I mostly shoot IDPA though, just starting in USPSA Production.  As far as saving a few hundred on a gun, I spend at least $3000 a year competing (travel, ammo, match fees).  Spending a few hundred more on a gun is nothing compared to the other costs.

If you are running a G19 already, probably not a lot of reason to change.

I ran a PPQ when I started USPSA, and it was a solid gun, and out of the box, I felt it had a much better trigger than the G19. 

I never had an issue reloading shorter than typical, nor did I have an issue with any factory ammo. In fact the SP-01 loads were also shorter, and the Shadow Target is arguably the top dog in the USPSA Production division. There are absolutely no issues with accuracy, or reliability, so the argument about the stepped barrel in competition is fairly meaningless in this case.

If you were breaking into the sport, I'd have no issue recommending the Walther, as I think it's genuinely better than a few of it's competitors out of the box, hence saving some coin. (Then again, I'm waiting to see the CZ-P10c because it looks like it'd be another decent out of the box choice.)

Also, make note that Walther is only paying out if you finish 1st or 2nd in a class with at least 6 competitor's, which means for USPSA, the only spot it might pay out with a dot, is Carry Optic's Nationals. Looking at a few Area matches, there are only 6 total people shooting carry optics. Really, you are left with Production and IDPA. So would it worth spending for a new gun, that probably isn't much "better" than you existing gun, along with holster, mags and other items, worth it to win? If you want different, by all means, go for it, but......

9 hours ago, sundevil827 said:

If you are running a G19 already, probably not a lot of reason to change.

I ran a PPQ when I started USPSA, and it was a solid gun, and out of the box, I felt it had a much better trigger than the G19. 

I never had an issue reloading shorter than typical, nor did I have an issue with any factory ammo. In fact the SP-01 loads were also shorter, and the Shadow Target is arguably the top dog in the USPSA Production division. There are absolutely no issues with accuracy, or reliability, so the argument about the stepped barrel in competition is fairly meaningless in this case.

If you were breaking into the sport, I'd have no issue recommending the Walther, as I think it's genuinely better than a few of it's competitors out of the box, hence saving some coin. (Then again, I'm waiting to see the CZ-P10c because it looks like it'd be another decent out of the box choice.)

Also, make note that Walther is only paying out if you finish 1st or 2nd in a class with at least 6 competitor's, which means for USPSA, the only spot it might pay out with a dot, is Carry Optic's Nationals. Looking at a few Area matches, there are only 6 total people shooting carry optics. Really, you are left with Production and IDPA. So would it worth spending for a new gun, that probably isn't much "better" than you existing gun, along with holster, mags and other items, worth it to win? If you want different, by all means, go for it, but......

Thanks for the info.  I do shoot IDPA and Production only.  I'm planning to shoot 5 of the listed Walther matches, all IDPA and the Area 5.  I'm sure I'd win 1 or more of those matches as I'm at the top of my division at the moment.  Still, not really worth it to buy a new gun for just the money.  My main reason was to try a different platform.  I have only ever shot Glock's in competition.  Just curious if I'd be even better or not with the PPQ.  The contingency money was just an incentive to me to try it (which is Walther's plan I'm sure).  Even if I don't like it, I can always sell it and be out a $100 or so.  The local dealer has a like new PPQ M2 for $450 with 3 mags.  I almost wouldn't lose any money at that price.  But then again, why switch if the Glock is working well, other than to see how I like it.

To each his own....

Honestly, I enjoyed shooting my PPQ, and I bought it because I felt I shot it far better than a stock Glock 17/19. Out of the box, it was hands down better, in my mind, but once you get into shooting sports, and investing money, then you end up putting some money in, here and there, and you end up with a gun that fits you, not a pure stock gun. Back when I got out of the PPQ, there really wasn't a ton in aftermarket support, it was pretty much throw on a set of Dawson sights, and roll. 

Nothing wrong at all with checking out another platform, and I'd never want to steer someone away from making a gun purchase! I don't see any reason not to do it, it's a heck of a fun gun. You won't lose money on it, and it's maybe also a little incentive for you to perform during matches. All good stuff.

For me, the reason I moved away from the PPQ to a CZ-Shadow Target was that it was something completely different. I liked steel, I adjusted to the DA/SA trigger, and for me it was a completely different experience in competition, and that definitely played a part into choosing to switch. 

Anyhow, you asked about the gun, it's a fun gun to shoot. For me it was a markedly different feel than shooting a Glock, It felt "snappier" but the muzzle rise was not awful, I suspect it'd be fairly competitive to a certain point with a good shooter.

Either way, good luck! I kinda doubt there is a wrong or bad choice for you! You'll have fun!

Thanks sundevil and 57K for the excellent responses and info.  I guess I wouldn't mind picking up that PPQ and just trying it out for myself side by side against my G19.  Not much to do for aftermarket parts for it, Dawson sights is about it like you said.  Even a reduced power spring is hard to find.  Walther said I could use the PPQ Navy spring for reduced power loads, but they refuse to say what pounds the stock and Navy springs are, just that the Navy is less.  I didn't know about the stepped chamber before you guys mentioned it.

Thanks 57K for the info on the Canik.  My LGS does have one there.  I'll take a look at it next time there.

The PPQ is nice but has some flaws for action shooting. It recoils more than the competition and results in slower splits. The grip is pretty slick. That seems to be the consensus by just about everyone that tries them for action shooting. The trigger is awesome but considering what you can do to glock and m&p triggers it kind of makes that a mute point. 

I dont one know if the 5" tames it at all. 

4 hours ago, Honeybooboo said:

The PPQ is nice but has some flaws for action shooting. It recoils more than the competition and results in slower splits. The grip is pretty slick. That seems to be the consensus by just about everyone that tries them for action shooting. The trigger is awesome but considering what you can do to glock and m&p triggers it kind of makes that a mute point. 

Thanks for the input!

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2017 at 8:06 AM, Honeybooboo said:

Then I guess we won't talk about it

On 2/13/2017 at 10:06 AM, Honeybooboo said:

I'd have disagreed fairly strenuously, but I'd like to think that Hwansik Kim's 2nd place overall finish in CO Nationals would put an end to those kinds of arguments.

The reality is, the PPQ is another one of the polymer guns that are going to work just fine if you want to run it, Glock, M&P, Springfield, and Sig. The reality is the gun isn't going to hold you back, (it may not be as "easy" as a CZ or a Tanfo) but it's the Indian, not the arrow.

Yes Hwansik Kim did well with the PPQ at Nationals.  Someone else won with a PPQ at the Florida match also I heard.  As far as recoil, most are running the Springco recoil reducer with low power spring (white).  It helps a lot.

6 hours ago, Pilot172 said:

Yes Hwansik Kim did well with the PPQ at Nationals.  Someone else won with a PPQ at the Florida match also I heard.  As far as recoil, most are running the Springco recoil reducer with low power spring (white).  It helps a lot.

Are you running the Springco? Curious on improvement. Currently have a solid guide rod in mine.