Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm - Loading the Zero 125gr JHP - #136 (Conical)

Bluemax

My first post here folks, so be gentle.  I purchased some Zero #136 (HAP style) bullets and happen to have quite a bit of Win231 on hand. Yes, I know it might not be an optimal powder choice but... it meters so well through my Dillon loader.

My question is regarding load data for the Zero 125 gr #136 bullet.  I had read to use load data found on the Hogdon/Winchester web page for the HAP bullet. They list a starting load of 2.8 gr to a max of 3.3 gr of W231 at 1.069 for the HAP.  However... I see a number of reports extolling a load of 4.3gr of W231, the Zero 125gr #136 (Conical) bullet at a length of 1.130 and 1050 fps, reportedly with no pressure signs. I imagine the big difference is perhaps due to the OAL of the loads... or the factory load data for W231 is awfully conservative.

Can any one also loading the Zero 125 gr #136 chime in on their favorite W231 loads and OAL ?  Or... a powder combination that meters equally well in a Dillon that is substantially better then W231 ?  I suspect Power Pistol, CFE Pistol, the VV powders, WSF, HS6 are likely contenders. These are for practice rounds... at this point.

Regards,

Mike

Welcome Mike!

Stay with W231 it is a very nice powder.  You're finding the relationship between OACL (case volume) and powder charge.  You'll need to find the optimum OACL for your gun with this bullet via the Plunk & Spin method (if you're not familiar see below).  IF you are ~1.13 or longer, try 4.0 grains and work up with a chrono. If you have to load shorter, then drop 10% below max for the HAP load data and work up.

Thanks for the good advice and affirming my love of W231.... very versatile powder in lots of calibers. I've been reloading rifle and handgun for years, but oddly, never loaded 9mm in the past... always had a provider of factory ammo.  The Dillon isn't my first progressive either, I have a Star used only for 148gr HBWC .38 Special bullseye loads... 2.8 gr of Bullseye and likely hasn't been changed since 1960 when the original owner set it up LOL. My match revolvers are just that good with that loading.

Mike

Interesting... I had no idea the Zero 125 gr #136 had been discontinued. It's about all anyone loads up here...and has been hard to find in stock in the past. I just bought some two weeks ago when they came back into stock.  I sent Zero an email and asked. I really don't want to switch as they shoot so darn well...  although my VP9 and CZ SP-01 Shadow Target sling just about everything well :-)