Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just ordered a S&W 627 Performance Center

WFargo

On 7/25/2017 at 9:57 AM, WFargo said:

Hi guys,

Just for 'sharing purposes'... ^_^

I bought a Nill Master II grip for my 627, put an extended cylinder latch on it, and cut down all my .38 special brass to Short Colts (actually .38 Super Auto length)

Now all I need, is to learn shooting revolver! whoohooo!

IMG_2409.JPG

I want that exact grip!  What are the specs for it (Product #) and where did you get it from?  I haven't been able to find one exactly like this...

Edited by pdufren

These grips are the Master II from  Karl Nill.

their website:  www.nill-griffe.com

They are in Germany.

You can select the English version of the website on the top left corner.

If you go to 'shop' and then select your country from the drop down box, you can then select "Special grips for revolver" and there on the second page you will find the Master II grips. You can order them in different sizes with closed or open back. They provide a 'table' with measurements for your hand so you can select the right grip.

For example, I have the 'standard' size with the closed back.  The width of my palm is about 10 cm and this fits me perfectly and gives the right distance from the back of the grip to the trigger.

It usually does take several weeks for them to have your grip ready. But it is só worth it!

Oh and mentally prepare yourself for the price......US $ 245.70  :D  but really, they're worth it.

Edited by WFargo
wanted to add the price

9 hours ago, WFargo said:

These grips are the Master II from  Karl Nill.

their website:  www.nill-griffe.com

They are in Germany.

You can select the English version of the website on the top left corner.

If you go to 'shop' and then select your country from the drop down box, you can then select "Special grips for revolver" and there on the second page you will find the Master II grips. You can order them in different sizes with closed or open back. They provide a 'table' with measurements for your hand so you can select the right grip.

For example, I have the 'standard' size with the closed back.  The width of my palm is about 10 cm and this fits me perfectly and gives the right distance from the back of the grip to the trigger.

It usually does take several weeks for them to have your grip ready. But it is só worth it!

Oh and mentally prepare yourself for the price......US $ 245.70  :D  but really, they're worth it.

Thank You!

13 hours ago, rjkelso said:

Wow those grips are super nice looking. I am very tempted but afraid the grip screw will make contact with my mainspring.

Actually the screw does contact the mainspring but I'm inexperienced enough not to know why that is a bad thing? Or what to do about it? 

Frankly... if the mainspring bears on the screw it could prevent the screw from flexing and ruin your trigger pull. If you back your strain screw out the mainspring is in a slightly different location inside the grip. I bought a Pachmayr grip and the grip screw needed to go right thru the exact spot where the mainspring was sitting. So now I'm paranoid.

Edited by rjkelso
Spelling

21 hours ago, rjkelso said:

Frankly... if the mainspring bears on the screw it could prevent the screw from flexing and ruin your trigger pull. If you back your strain screw out the mainspring is in a slightly different location inside the grip. I bought a Pachmayr grip and the grip screw needed to go right thru the exact spot where the mainspring was sitting. So now I'm paranoid.

I agree but after checking out how it works, the screw is not limiting the flex of the spring and when compressed the bend of the spring goes away from the screw so I can't see (or feel) any harm. But I talked to my local gunsmith about it and he'll modify the spring... but first I'm going to shoot it for a while as-is and see if there is anything else that needs adjustment. 

Still it is an odd place to put the screw when they know the spring is going to be close or inside the hole. We can't be the first to have noticed this or be concerned? 

Edited by Frankly

That's good to hear Frankly thanks for checking that out. I wish I could have a bigbutt grip with the back strap covered. The thing I like about the Nill grips is that extra 3/8" of grip at the top of the back strap. But I am used to my Hogue grips now so I guess it's okay. Still I do think those Nills Master II grips are cool.

1 hour ago, rjkelso said:

That's good to hear Frankly thanks for checking that out. I wish I could have a bigbutt grip with the back strap covered. The thing I like about the Nill grips is that extra 3/8" of grip at the top of the back strap. But I am used to my Hogue grips now so I guess it's okay. Still I do think those Nills Master II grips are cool.

Hogue makes the big butt grips with the S&W 500 grips that cover the back strap. I believe they are special order. Give them a call they can make pretty much anything you want. 

I use the S&W 500 grips on 610/617/627/625/929 so I have the same grip on my revolvers. I appreciate the larger grip with covered backstrap as I have large hands the grips really fill up my grip. They used to be harder to get because Hogue only sold them to S&W but recently Brownell's started carrying them and I was able to pick up the last few I needed.  Before that I was having to move them around. I know lots like the wood Hogue grips but those have never worked with my hand type. 

Hi, Perttime.

No, the thumbrest is not in the way for reloads.

These grips are 'moonclip friendly' as Nill states... :D

I haven't had any instances where the thumbrest messed up my reload.

• 1 month later...

The Nill grips I have interfere with speed loaders slightly - enough to mar the finish and consider knocking 1/16th' off - but moonclips clear just fine. 

But I just sold my revolver stuff as well as my 2011 and am now back to shooting 100% Tupperware so... this was a nice part of the forum to visit. Cheers! 

IMG_0920.jpg

Edited by Frankly