Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just ordered a S&W 627 Performance Center

WFargo

Hi guys,

I ordered a Smith & Wesson 627 PC about a week ago.

I'm gonna switch over to IPSC revolver division here in the Netherlands and.... can't... wait!!!

I am gonna start off with .38 specials and TK moon clips 0.025 'Competition'. ( I still have to order them, though.... :) )

The casings I'm gonna be using are Sellier & Bellot  .38 specials. (I have them in abundance...  Unfortunately buying Starline short colts... no one has them in stock here in the Netherlands... getting them here is gonna be expensive and difficult and will take a long time...)

A buddy of mine is already busy with his TRR8 and 986 and he has already made .38 short colts from these .38 specials and I might be going that road as well.

The Sellier & Bellot casings fit perfectly snug in the TK's with hardly any movement, so that's a big plus.

But... because I live in the netherlands, I now have to wait a couple weeks so the police can screen me and add the revolver to my license, and then I have to apply for a consent from Customs for transportation as I have to pick up the revolver at a gun shop in Germany... which could also take about 8 weeks, worst case scenario....

What I would like to know from you guys.... the 627 PC...  is the cylinder really ready for TK moon clips?

My buddy's TRR8  certainly was not. He had to cut away more material to be able to use the 0.025 TK's.

It probably also depends on when the revolver was made....  Mine is in stock at this shop.... so it could already be years old in theory.  The  serial number is CZX99--

Is there anyone here who knows from what year this revo is? Or should I hop over to the Smith & Wesson forum for this question?

Thanks in advance for your help, guys.

Jan

My 627 worked fine with TK moonclips straight out of the box.... I've had 4 ... 627's in my year. 2 being the 357 V Comp, one standard 627 357 and my current 627 in 38 Super which I will probably never part with.
I have never had to modify one to fit moonclips although my sister V Comps did have slightly different head spacing from the factory but both still worked. I've never shot anything but starling brass through any of them.
One thing I found on all of them is I had to polish the gears on the star as all of them were pretty rough from the factory which made the trigger pull "grindy"
Happy shooting.

• 1 month later...

TK are all I use in my 627, keep in mind they make ones specific to brass brand. I strongly suggest buying them for the brand of brass you intend to use and sort your brass out so you do not mix brands. This is especially a concern for 38's as there's no SAAMI spec on the extractor groove dimensions (actually the ammo manufacturers didnt standardize including an extractor groove on commercial ammo until well after the inception of the 38 so technically they don't have to even have one) so each manufacturer has different dimensions. So you run into one brand will clip in the moon and another brand wont. If you match the brand to the clip they will work slicker than scum off a Louisiana swamp! 

Edited by BallisticianX

• 1 month later...

I've got a S&W , N frame, 8 round, 327 TRR8 from Performance Center and I use PMC 357A rounds. The S&W provided TK moonclips will not accept this ammo casings. Even using a wrench would not work in a BMT N38-8 mooner/demooner. I probably have to change ammo type maybe the Sellier & Bellot 357 mags will work with these TK clips from S&W. Anyone know about these type problems and solutions?

When purchased did you specify what brass you would be using? TK Custom  usually  are made to brand specific brass. I would call or text them and let them know what ammo you are using and they could make clips to fit. Might even trade you clips if they were purchased from them.

the TK moonclips (3 pcs came with the gun) came from S&W Performance Center with the 327 TRR8 8 shot rervolver. I even orderd 3 more moonclips from S&W and got the same moonclips with a TK stamp on them also. TKCustom must make them for S&W now. I purchased a BMT N38-8 tool and found out that the PMC ammo 357A 158grs JSP casings will not fit in all 8 sections of the moonclip. It's just much to tight if you can get them in.  There is no standard in the industry so it sounds like I have to experiment with different ammo unless I can reach  someone who solved this problem altready. It requires excessive human strength and even that doesn't work. I'm considerning buying a moonclip tool from moonclip.com with a .675 arbor and some of their .675 moonclips since they suggested to me that this will work. I have sent an email to S&W but there is a few days wait until they answer.

the TK moonclips (3 pcs came with the gun) came from S&W Performance Center with the 327 TRR8 8 shot rervolver. I even orderd 3 more moonclips from S&W and got the same moonclips with a TK stamp on them also. TKCustom must make them for S&W now. I purchased a BMT N38-8 tool and found out that the PMC ammo 357A 158grs JSP casings will not fit in all 8 sections of the moonclip. It's just much to tight if you can get them in.  There is no standard in the industry so it sounds like I have to experiment with different ammo unless I can reach  someone who solved this problem altready. It requires excessive human strength and even that doesn't work. I'm considerning buying a moonclip tool from moonclip.com with a .675 arbor and some of their .675 moonclips since they suggested to me that this will work. I have sent an email to S&W but there is a few days wait until they answer.

I've noticed that the TK clips for Starline brass with new Starline are tight at first, but after you load them a couple of times they get easier to load and unload. You will definitely get a good forearm workout with the BMT until they break in[emoji2]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

PMC brass is all over the place for groove diameter. For a short time a few years back 50% of the brass fit my Remington/Federal clips. It was like there were 2 machines undercutting the rim and one of them was set to cut deep enough for my clips. No luck since then though, everything I've seen has been a really shallow undercut.

thank you all for the information. I spoke via email to Tom at TKC and he asked me what the extractor dimension was for the PMC brass. I have no idea what it is and their is no SAAMI standard for this. Since PMC ammo is made in South Korea it's foreign made so I should probably just switch to an American made brand and see if that works.

I'll let you know how I make out. Again thanks for the information it is very helpful.

I just received the S&W response to my question about the inability to get the ammo I am using attached to the moonclips they provided when I purchased the revolver.
Here it is:

We only recommend American made SAAMI Spec Ammunition for use in our firearms such as Federal or Remmington.If you are unsure if the ammunition you are using is SAAMI Spec contact the manufacturer.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us
Thank you and Have a Great Day!
Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.
Regards
       I am using PMC 357A 158grs JSP ammo. I assumed it was USA made ammo. It's not it is made in S. Korea, So, that may well be the problem. I've ordered Federal 357mag ammo and am waiting for delivery to see if the USA made rounds will work with the monclips I have.

thanks for the link. I now have the list of SAAMI members. I also spoke to Tom at TKCustom. The moonclips that come from S&W with my new PC 327, 8shot, TRR8 357magnum are made by TK. I am told they will fit USA made (SAAMI) ammunition. I also ordered from TKCustom a .025 moonbclip that I am told the PMC Korean ammo I have will fit in. I'm waiting for the .025 clips and for the Federal ammo so I can confirm the fit for both types of ammo. Will let you know.

received the .025 moonclips from Tom at TKCustom. Put one in my BMT N38-8 mooner/demooner tool and it worked like a charm with my Korean made PMC 357magnum ammo.

I am all set. I'm pretty sure the S&W provided moonclips that came with my S&W Performance Center 327 TRR8 revolver will work fine with USA made 357 magnums I ordered from Federal. Thanks for all your help here on the form.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Just for 'sharing purposes'... ^_^

I bought a Nill Master II grip for my 627, put an extended cylinder latch on it, and cut down all my .38 special brass to Short Colts (actually .38 Super Auto length)

Now all I need, is to learn shooting revolver! whoohooo!

IMG_2409.JPG

Yes, it does have an ugly hammer, doesn't it?   :lol:

That's high on my list... but getting it carmonized will be difficult as I am in the Netherlands.

But we have a very skilled man overhere who does beautiful things with revolvers, so I just need to come up with the cash...

but I'll first spend my money on reloading components so I can keep it running.