Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help in Choosing Between STI 2011 Pistols

dstein

Hello all,

So I know that my next purchase will be an STI 2011 pistol.  Just trying to make my choice between the Edge, Eagle, or Tactical.  Caliber is 9mm Luger.  The firearm will be just for fun...not really planning to do any competitive shooting.  I know I would be happy with any one of these, but I am looking to you all who own one of these for some advice/insight.

Thanks in advance!

Darrell

If you look at the STI web site the Eagle is not listed. The only difference between the Edge and the Eagle was the barrel. Edge was a bull barrel and the Eagle is bushing (making it legal for IDPA). I agree with Scottie - I'd go with the Tac DS. You could shoot this in USPSA or 3 gun if you wanted to, or even carry if you so desire.

all pretty much the same internals and basics.  edge a little heavier with full dust cover.  tac has the light rail.  eagle is legal in all the games including idpa (not on their website anymore so probably discontinued but a great gun and still some around).

but, do yourself a big favor, and do some competitive shooting (uspsa, idpa, steel, etc), it's a 'blast' and a great way to become one with the gun that may be needed in a hd/sd situation.  that's what these sti's are made for!

Hello: Since it is just for fun why not look at a 1911 in 9mm? It will cost you less and so will magazines. Lots of really good options for 9mm in 1911's and 2011's. Pick one you like the looks of and fits in your price range. A 1911 with a rail in 9mm would be a pretty sweet shooter. Damn, now I have to look for another 9mm 1911 with a rail. I would also try to shoot as many as you can to see how they feel in your hand. Go to a local match and ask around, you may find one for sale. Thanks, Eric

It's not just the barrel between the Edge and Eagle. The Edge has a full length dust cover where the Eagle does not. For a 9mm gun I would go with the Hex Tac. It's IDPA legal, has a light rail, tri-top slide, magwell, and the hex serrations are extremely functional (and look good). The hex tac fills a lot of roles and it does each of them very well. 

The Edge is STI 's flagship, Executice is very nice, and the Eagle is now discontinued. If you are not going to shoot competition you may want to consider a 1911 in 9mm. As stated in a previous post, mags and pistol would be less expensive. If You are sure you want a 2011, you may want to consider a CK Arms 2011. I alsways recommend visiting a USPSA match and talking to participants. Good luck in your decision.

Marauder is my favorite all-around 2011. I swapped out the mag well for the EGW as it fits my hands better, and the rear sight for a Warren Tactical with a wider notch (point of impact with the stock Dawson front sight was spot on).  I like the balance and handling compared to the full length dust cover/bull barrel guns, such as the Edge and Tactical.  However, if you don't need the light rail and intend to add different sights and magwell, you can get essentially the same gun for cheaper with the Eagle.

On Monday, February 06, 2017 at 0:05 PM, harleyfan said:

I have a Marauder and have been very happy with it. Does need a little trigger work, however.

Have you done any trigger work or what are your plans for the Marauder trigger?

2 hours ago, Aldila said:

What specifically can be done to improve the trigger on a marauder? 

Probably the same on any 2011, replace  sear, hammer, disconnector, sear spring and main spring.  Should get the trigger to 1.5lbs range.