Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD Mod 2 5" or XDm 5.25 for USPSA

champ198

looking at getting into USPSA shooting. im a beginner with this type of competition. and am looking for opinions on a gun for it.

I have it narrowed down to these two for really no other reason than feel of the gun vs something like Glock or S&W.

I know there is a big difference in price between the 2 with the M series being on the upper end.

is the XDM going to be worth the extra money over the Mod 2?

im planning on shooting in Production division and shooting 9mm.

I noticed that the XDM has the slide cut out. is this for recoil reduction?

Which one works better for you?  Do you need/want an adjustable sight?  The cutout in the XDm is to lighten the slide to the same weight as a regular 4.5" one.  For Production, I believe you can get enough parts for either, as the Mod.2 takes a lot of the same parts as the older XD.  You can get longer base pads for both (the mod.2 uses XD magazines).

For Prod you're going to need 5 mags (say). I put the XDm at about + $145 fitted out. Diffs described above, except that the Xdm has 19 rounders versus 16 rounders for the Mod.2. You want to look at Springer Precision for your bits. It seems as if everyone gets a Springer or Powder River action job too. Considering the amount of ammo you are going to burn in this thing I don't think the cost difference is material.

I'm with Bidah - pick the one that works better for you. I rented both and put a box through each. I was no better placed picking one than before I started though, so good luck.

For Production, the differences in magazine capacity is null (assuming you are not already in a locality where you only get 10 rounds).  I would also agree that in the long run, the cost of the gun and gear is but a small one, even the price difference between them considered.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:58 PM, Loves2Shoot said:

For Production, the one that fits you the best. The standard XD Tactical is as good as the Mod 2 unless you want the styling of the Mod 2. You can get everything you need for at www.springerprecision.com

Doesn't the Mod 2 need to be approved by USPSA?