Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumblers/Vibrators/media separators.....what do you recommend?

Hi, just getting set up and really not sure which to purchase. Would like to stay under $100 if possible. Don't want to buy junk and yet would like to remain judiciously frugal.

I read a bunch of reviews but they seem to be all over the place.

I would sure appreciate some guidance with respect to which tumbler or vibrator to purchase and which media seperator is preferred.

thank you.

I used the small one from harbor freight. Worked fine but it was kind of loud when I moved into an apartment. Switched to the one from cabelas and it's quite a bit quieter and holds a little more. Both will run you 70 bucks or less

I forget the price, but I use a Lyman Pro1200 tumbler. Been working for years. Not terribly loud, but it's out in the shed (I load it up, turn it on, and leave the shed). As for a separator,  I use a 5 gallon bucket and a round colander that fits right on top of the bucket. Dump the brass and media into the colander, give some shakes back and forth, and the media falls into the bucket, leaving the brass in the colander.

I process brass commercially, so I have some bigger ones.  I use the Dillon CV-2001.

When I was loading just for myself I used and loved the Cabelas one. 

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/reloading/case-cleaning|/pc/104792580/c/104761080/sc/104661180/cabela-s-model-400-vibratory-case-tumbler-kit/731769.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1100197

It has a clear top which is nice, but it is VERY quiet and has a on/off switch on the cord.  The gold pan is pretty useless as a separator.  I currently use the big Dillon one.

In my opinion the best starter kit is get the Lyman 1200 (with slotted lid). 

It costs about $60 and comes with a batch of their excellent green corn cob media which will last about a year. 

For separator all you need need is a regular household bucket that fits tightly on top of the tumbler. 

You fit the bucket on top then invert tumbler and bucket. 30 seconds of shaking leaves all media in the bucket and brass in the tumbler. I then put a collender on the bucket and dump the brass into that to get out the last few grains of media. 

It works really well and very easy to use. Cheap too. :)