Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650, Cases getting stuck / tipped in Station 1 Locator

I had a 550b for several years, and recently upgraded to a new XL650. I load 9mm only (about 400 so far).

Having issues with brass cases not seating in the Station One Locator track all the way. If I go slow, the cases seem to feed fine through the track and into station 1.

If I start to speed up, some cases will get stuck halfway down the track, jam the slide cam and never make it to station 1. Some will tip over at the shell-plate, or come flying out the left side of the press.

My bench is pretty stable, as I have it bolted to the wall and I'm also using the strong mount for stability.

I checked the troubleshooting section of the manual. Here is what I have checked:

• Verified Station 1 Locator is #5 for 9mm
  • Checked shellplate bolt - very snug but shellplate moves freely
  • No debris in shellplate pockets
  • Re-adjusted camming pin. With a primed case in Station 2, and handle at full aft stop, case gets fully into Station 1 with a little play. Camming pin still in slight contact with the slide cam.
  • Re-adjusted case insert slide cam "wedge". Long slide faces shellplate. Tried adjusting position so back is flush with cam slide, also tried slightly forward.
  • Try to be smooth on up and down strokes
  • Checked Station 1 Locator for debris, cleaned and lightly re-greased bottom

What can cause cases not to seat in the track properly?

Thanks!

yii8iEi.jpg

auWW1x7.jpg

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Make sure there is grease under the locator track to dampen the bounce of the case falling on it. 

Also, I polish the crap out of that track on my press. Makes it much smoother

These two suggestions here  has worked for me in the past A++

On a side note....

I see you haven't bent your ejection wire to account for the bearing and washers.  If you start having eject issues, because the wire is high and causes binding from tipping the round slightly, just put the recommended bend in it and you'll be all set.  ;-)

3 hours ago, TDA said:

Does the track have a "5" stamped in it?

Yours looks more like like a .40 track in that top pic.

Yes - verified it is #5. I ordered the 650 with the 9mm conversion. I don't have anything else.
9mm cases are snug but smooth going through it.

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

Make sure there is grease under the locator track to dampen the bounce of the case falling on it. 

Also, I polish the crap out of that track on my press. Makes it much smoother

Only 400 rounds through this press. The Station 1 Locator had grease from the factory - I cleaned it all off and re-applied a light coat of grease on the bottom.

I will try polishing that track with my dremel.

50 minutes ago, RichJacot said:

On a side note....

I see you haven't bent your ejection wire to account for the bearing and washers.  If you start having eject issues, because the wire is high and causes binding from tipping the round slightly, just put the recommended bend in it and you'll be all set.  ;-)

No ejection issues yet, and it doesn't interfere with the cam slide. I will bend it if needed, thanks.

Another thing I noticed is the Station 1 Locator doesn't line up with the shell plate:

To be clear here, if you have an empty shellplate and press the handle all the way to top (as though inserting primer), is the primer punch (Station 2) located in the center of the shell plate slot?

Just now, amada8 said:

Another thing I noticed is the Station 1 Locator doesn't line up with the shell plate:

To be clear here, if you have an empty shellplate and press the handle all the way to top (as though inserting primer), is the primer punch (Station 2) located in the center of the shell plate slot?

Yes - I meant the edges of the Station 1 Locator, one side is machined shorter. I just spoke to Dillon Support and they said this is normal.

Spoke to Dillon Support. They recommended I deburr the Station 1 Locator with a file.

I found that cases slide freely when perfectly straight, but if the case was slightly tipped at all - it hangs up at the angle where it narrows.  If I keep the case tipped through the rest of the track toward the shell plate - it is smooth. But tipped through the angled area where the case enters the track - it is rough and hangs up. Seems like burrs for sure.

I will try deburring and see if that helps. If not, Dillon said they would send me a new Station 1 Locator.

22 hours ago, ES13Raven said:

Spoke to Dillon Support. They recommended I deburr the Station 1 Locator with a file.

Do more than deburring. Remove the locator and run several different case types (i.e. different headstamps) down it by hand. Wherever you find resistance, use a needle file to relieve that area to ensure smooth movement along the full length of the locator. You may have to remove material from the inside and under the overhang of the tracks that engage the case rim. I find that mine gets beaten up over time, resulting in the symptoms you describe, and a few seconds with a needle file usually fixes it up completely.

It is also worth inspecting your brass to be sure it is not deformed around the rim area... an over-long 1911 extractor can peen the brass and cause the case to fatten enough to hang up in the press.

I have this problem every so often with a 650 in 40 S&W.  Lots of good suggestions here - none of the deburring/ smoothing has worked so far.  Had not thought to look at headstamps to see if it was case specific.

On 2/3/2017 at 7:52 AM, StealthyBlagga said:

Do more than deburring. Remove the locator and run several different case types (i.e. different headstamps) down it by hand. Wherever you find resistance, use a needle file to relieve that area to ensure smooth movement along the full length of the locator. You may have to remove material from the inside and under the overhang of the tracks that engage the case rim. I find that mine gets beaten up over time, resulting in the symptoms you describe, and a few seconds with a needle file usually fixes it up completely.

That's exactly what I did. It wasn't certain head-stamps - it was all head-stamps that met some resistance where the angle meets the main track.

Loaded bout 200 rounds today after using the file on the Station 1 Locator. Cases are no longer getting stuck halfway down the Locator, but they were sometimes not going into the track. They would end up exactly like the 2nd pic I posted in the original post, or come flying out the left side of the press.

I started going slower and watching the cases. When I go slow, there are no issues.  So I started slightly slower, deliberate up-strokes & down-strokes. No issues with cases feeding in the last 150 rounds.  I guess I was going too fast and sometimes the cases didn't have time to settle.

Edited by ES13Raven

That's exactly what I did. It wasn't certain head-stamps - it was all head-stamps that met some resistance where the angle meets the main track.

Loaded bout 200 rounds today after using the file on the Station 1 Locator. Cases are no longer getting stuck halfway down the Locator, but they were sometimes not going into the track. They would end up exactly like the 2nd pic I posted in the original post, or come flying out the left side of the press.

I started going slower and watching the cases. When I go slow, there are no issues.  So I started slightly slower, deliberate up-strokes & down-strokes. No issues with cases feeding in the last 150 rounds.  I guess I was going too fast and sometimes the cases didn't have time to settle.

I am having the same issue. Seems to occur about every ten rounds or so. Case inserts all the way into the shell plate but then withdraws about a millimeter or so as the feed bar withdraws. Ideas?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, harleyfan said:

I am having the same issue. Seems to occur about every ten rounds or so. Case inserts all the way into the shell plate but then withdraws about a millimeter or so as the feed bar withdraws. Ideas?

Qtip with gun cleaner(brake cleaner) rubbed on the face of the slide. When this happens for me I find case lube / funk etc has built up there. Just sticky enough to cling to the case

For all the ball ache I'd ask Dillon for a new station 1. They should just work. I use one for both 9mm and super and it's never needed that much messing with. It just works. I do keep a decent amount of grease under it. They can get dinged up and I might get a case jam maybe once in 3,000 or more. But from new it should work flawlessly. 

Qtip with gun cleaner(brake cleaner) rubbed on the face of the slide. When this happens for me I find case lube / funk etc has built up there. Just sticky enough to cling to the case

I will try that. I thought it might be caused by case lube. I spray a little one shot on my 9mm cases.

11 hours ago, harleyfan said:

I had a similar issue, found that the ejector wire (the one that kicks the completed rounds into the chute) had worked it's way up a bit and was rubbing on the block that pushes the case into station 1. Pushing it back down cured the problem for me.

I had a similar issue, found that the ejector wire (the one that kicks the completed rounds into the chute) had worked it's way up a bit and was rubbing on the block that pushes the case into station 1. Pushing it back down cured the problem for me.

I'll double check that. Thanks!