Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore syncing and large ranges

Nathanb

As I start gearing up for the next shooting season I keep toying with the idea of being able to actively sync to the master tablet throughout the match. Currently each squad scores on a tablet at each stage and then I sync at the end. I'd like to be able to pull continuously throughout the match. The problem is that my range is at least 250 yards end to end with high berms. I also do not have power in each bay so that further complicates the issue. 

How is is everyone else doing this?  If I had power in each bay I'd just set up repeaters and go from there but i don't have that option. I realize this is probably a fools errand but I want to try to bring this to life. I've noticed there's a large number of competitors who like to know how they are doing on each stage and I want to try to deliver a better match. 

Any thoughts?

I'm working on a solution with APs and smaller than car batteries to sell.

Once I get a shipment of a new model of APs in I can test it..

Right now I have 2 expensive APs that cover up to 600 feet. And "mesh" together.
With a little magic sprinkled in you could actually live update scores to PS as you sync them.....

This solution will run on 24 volts or AC power but the batteries are the size of a small bag of cookies(think Girl Scout cookies)
There is the ability to put batteries and a solar panel to gather and mesh it out.

Mesh is a technology where the APs talk on one radio and use a second radio to serve clients(think PS tablets)

My goal is to be able to have a complete system to box up and ship you and you add batteries...
With up to 6 radios you should be able to cover a 5 square acre range..... with proper placement.
A few caveats will apply.

I've tried the single router and the signal strength isn't enough. It really peters out fast and can maybe do two bays let alone the six we need. 

Radartech id be interested in what you come up. Cheaper the better although I realize that what I'm looking at may not be cheap. What kind of battery time are we talking about? 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I'm doing until RadarTech gets his kits out. I have an extra Apple Airport Router and a couple of extenders. I put the router in a central location and then extenders on either side where power is available. If I can't see a tablet I will take it between squads until it's close enough to the router or extender and then sync. I found the airport router at a pawn shop for $60 and I've been buying extenders on eBay for about $40. Make sure if you buy any to get Gen 2 or newer of the extenders. The Gen 1 extenders require a cable connection to work :(. I have two I'm using for paper weights because I didn't now that before I bought them.

My problem is the overall lack of power I've got one outlet. I've looked into Poe for access points but still can't get them to reach far enough. I'd love to be able to get this to work but without power it's a moot point I think at least for now. 

• 2 weeks later...