Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LEO- new from Il

Sig0621

6 minutes ago, Rangerdug said:

Don't do it! 2011s are great competition guns but not tactical guns. You don't just pull a 2011 out of the box and it's good to go. It needs gun smithing, they don't run dirty, magazines are finicky, and chambers don't like factory ammo, especially issued ammo.
It sounds good even looks good, but it is bad decision. If the gun malfunctions in a match oh well; in real life you are black stripe on a badge. Now, if you're a desk jockey get an SV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't disagree.  While I ran those for years, none of them were run of mill pistols.  And even though I was meticulous about magazine maintenance, mag failure was always in the back of my mind.  It's not as "cool" carrying Glocks, Sigs, etc. but it's a whole lot less expensive and one less thing to worry about.

3 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I don't disagree.  While I ran those for years, none of them were run of mill pistols.  And even though I was meticulous about magazine maintenance, mag failure was always in the back of my mind.  It's not as "cool" carrying Glocks, Sigs, etc. but it's a whole lot less expensive and one less thing to worry about.

And you don't cry as long when you drop your Glock on a rock slag road.

If 2011 pistols are so unreliable, why are they so popular for competition? And is the upkeep worse than running a 1911?

Because it's a 1911 with capacity... that's all... And you know... People love 1911s... But all the 2011s I see are pretty much open class... So they're tuned to the max and then they jam every once in awhile... Which to me is too much for a duty gun.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Sig0621 said:

If 2011 pistols are so unreliable, why are they so popular for competition? And is the upkeep worse than running a 1911?

It's not that they are unreliable.  They are quirky, finicky, they require constant attention.  Nothing wrong with that and when they run, they make you look like a Pro.  IMHO, a single stack 1911 requires the same attention to pistol maintenance as a wide body pistol, but the magazine maintenance is quadrupled.   

I'm not on the job but I have shot a lot.  My glocks have literally run 100 percent with factory ammo and my 2011's are nearly 100 percent with handloads and much less with factory loads.  I don't have a job where my life depends on a firearm but I can't imagine carrying something that wont go bang all the time.  Nearly 100 percent wouldn't cut it.  Mag tuning and such shouldn't be an issue with a duty gun if you ask me.  I shoot 2011's for competition but a glock is in my night stand and on my belt. Again I'm not on the job but have more than a few rounds down range with 2011's and plastic guns.