Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther $400,000 Contingency Program

TheCodyOsborn

22 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

But who runs them?

Contingency programs worked rather well for STI back in the day. ;) 

I bet you'll see a lot of them soon. If they were popular already, you wouldn't have the company offering $400k in order to make them popular.

Also:

Edited by MemphisMechanic

But everyone who already plays the game has settled on their platform and are not going to go out and by a Walther because of that. And newbies aren't going to out and buy these by the thousands, they would get slaughtered at the Area's and Nationals. Walther would be better off to run their own match, with their guns, and let experienced hoser's run thru.

16 hours ago, tanks said:

Guys that are already running P320s, VP9s or Glocks in Production  might switch. I don't see any serious competitor in any class running them in Limited.

Or CO, since the Q5 is approved now.

I checked this out the other day. They are offering some pretty decent payouts for A, B, and C classes. Well, enough to cover good a chunk of the reasonable priced Walthers. If nothing else, hopefully that will get some other companies to follow suit. Wishful thinking...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great to hear Walther is making a big push for their products in the "competition" category of the gun world, and offering a significant amount of financial incentive.  First they create a gun specifically for competition, the Q5 Match, and now they offer pretty substantial cash payouts.  As a competition shooter I appreciate their commitment to our sport.

If they'd announced this in Oct or Nov I think more of us would have switched. If I were an unsettled, good local guy at C/B or SS/EX and lived within driving distance of say just 4 of these matches it's a no brainer to make the switch.

The catch with Carry Optics at least, is that if you read the contingency plan, you'll need at least 6 other competitors in the same class (That's true for every division, but it's not an issue at all in Production). Looking at Area 4, there are only 6 people shooting Carry Optic's total, meaning, no pay out at all. I haven't looked at all the other Area matches, but other than Nationals, it seems like it might be a bit of a stretch to see 5 other people shooting in the same class.

I started out with a PPQ, it's a heck of a nice gun, and I'd take it over several other brands that I see out there quite a bit. But with a $400,000 possible payout, it looks like Walther probably isn't going to pay out a whole lot, but will bring some positive attention. Good on them, and to the folks who will want to run them. Can't see how it's a bad thing.

i'd say that's true. when i switched from idpa to uspsa i went from MA and classified straight in at B.

yep, if the timing were earlier with the optics mag change and this money change then I bet you'd see more. hopefully they do it a second year!!

Don't underestimate the draw of the mag change bringing more shooters to CO, and to a smaller degree contingency programs like Walther is offering. Past numbers might be low but the mag change might give CO the kickstart it needs.