Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chamber Flag Options

Hello: I am using a yellow chamber flag. I insert it into the magwell area instead of the barrel. I was always afraid the heat would melt the plastic leaving some in the chamber. My gun club gives them away for free. I always carry a few spares incase I loose one or someone needs one. Thanks, Eric

1 minute ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I am using a yellow chamber flag. I insert it into the magwell area instead of the barrel. I was always afraid the heat would melt the plastic leaving some in the chamber. My gun club gives them away for free. I always carry a few spares incase I loose one or someone needs one. Thanks, Eric

I guess I would have to see that. Are you saying down through chamber so it's still visible at bolt?

Since I'm new to rifles and flags. Could an over zealous RO ever require you to put something in the chamber as opposed to just blocking the slide? I like the plugr but it really doesn't show that a chsmber is empty.

I'm with some of the guys above. The flags that I use are shorter and harder plastic, but I still generally don't insert into the chamber. Only inserted as Eric shows. I've seen the longer ends of the flags that are designed to go into the chamber shear off from the bolt closing on it over and over and I have not interest in leaving a hunk of plastic  in or near my chamber.

I think that the Chamberview is a pretty cool concept. I got one off a prize table and have been using it in my PCC, but it has been frustrating because it falls out with very little help. Just figured out that I have the shotgun version. Looks like it would be great for AR's if it was reduced about 20% though...

13 hours ago, Sarge said:

Since I'm new to rifles and flags. Could an over zealous RO ever require you to put something in the chamber as opposed to just blocking the slide? I like the plugr but it really doesn't show that a chsmber is empty.

Haven't shot USPSA, but in every rifle event that I have shot with flags, RO orders to empty the chamber, etc before you place the flag in after the stage. Similar to a pistol before you put it back in a holster. Other than the first stage the RO should have no doubt that the rifle is empty. Same as a pistol if you pulled it from a holster and already had one in the chamber at make ready wouldn't it be a DQ? Cold range rules should still apply. Sure an RO could demand that you place the flag in the chamber but not sure why. Once the flag is in, the gun is in a visibly safe condition and the bolt and firing pin are blocked from the chamber no matter if the flag protrudes in the the chamber or not. Have always thought this style flag looked like a good solution and seem to work well for the people I have seen run them, http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/training-safety-gear/chamber-safety-flags/safety-device-prod56491.aspx 

2 minutes ago, Chip3 said:

Haven't shot USPSA, but in every rifle event that I have shot with flags, RO orders to empty the chamber, etc before you place the flag in after the stage. Similar to a pistol before you put it back in a holster. Other than the first stage the RO should have no doubt that the rifle is empty. Same as a pistol if you pulled it from a holster and already had one in the chamber at make ready wouldn't it be a DQ? Cold range rules should still apply. Sure an RO could demand that you place the flag in the chamber but not sure why. Once the flag is in, the gun is in a visibly safe condition and the bolt and firing pin are blocked from the chamber no matter if the flag protrudes in the the chamber or not. Have always thought this style flag looked like a good solution and seem to work well for the people I have seen run them, http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/training-safety-gear/chamber-safety-flags/safety-device-prod56491.aspx 

I run that exact "flag" in my shotgun for 3-gun, I love it.

Edited by SpaceMan
1 hour ago, SpaceMan said:

I run that exact "flag" in my shotgun for 3-gun, I love it.

i really don't like those, from running shooters it's a little awkward to pop in and out.  i prefer the ones Aircooled above is showing.

I'm not so worried about melting, but I did have a section shear off, and would prefer it not be a problem again... most ROs down here assist you with the flag, and carry it so it can be inserted at the finish of the course of fire..... we use 3 gun commands...show clear... bolt forward... pull trigger... lock open bolt...safety on... insert flag... muzzle up carry to cart... cart to side berm and carbine placed in holder... most ROs are comfortable with this format