Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Piston Driven AR, Can it be done?

sasquatch981

Just curious, if anyone has ever tried to to use an aftermarket piston driven system like adam arms, osprey defense, etc on a 9mm AR build.  Now before you go an say "the 9mm AR is a blowback design", I know that.  I am thinking outside the box here.  Trying to lighten the carrier, and all the reciprocating weight.  Afterall the Sig MPX is a piston 9mm, and the recoil is alot less than a typical 9mm AR.  Just curious as to what you other tinkerers may think.

A number of people are making direct impingement 9mm uppers at this point. Most need a bit of extra gas to cycle.

I think the issue you would have with a piston in a 9mm AR is the barrel nut. The MPX taps its gas from essentially where the barrel nut is in relation to the chamber on an AR.

There are a few people running skeletonized 9mm DI bolts and lightweight buffer setups that are claiming proper function with factory ammo. If you were able to use a similar setup with a piston you may be able to get it to run.

I really want someone to come up with a a dual mass or roller locked delayed blowback 9mm upper.

You can bet there are people out there already trying to build a better mousetrap.

I shoot with a chap who does some amount of his own gun work and we were recently discussing his foray into this topic. He's planning to use a 5.45 bolt in his trial and see where it goes from there...

or you could snag one of the new semi-auto MP5 clones for a smooth $2K and go from there...