Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone switch from the Xtreme Delta to the Titan? Trigger creep

waktasz

4 hours ago, PatriotDefense said:

Seriously though..... with properly cut hooks to the Sear you can have a 8lb Da gun with a sub 2lb SA that breaks clean.... or maybe somebody should get away from the cast sears and make a CNC Sear    With a Sear face designed for the Titan hammer ?

My results aren't quite as dramatic, but with a 13lb PDO Main spring, I'm getting a 5lb 5oz. DA and 1lb 12oz. SA. I've worked on both the sear and hammer hooks.  I'm using the Titan hammer. 

Edited by MissionaryMike

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ryridesmotox said:

Got a micrometer? Measure the hooks and see. I polish mine... That might be the grit your feel. 

I polish mine too. Grit really isn't the correct term either. It's just creep. Too much engagement.

I do have a set of digital calipers but they are the cheapo kind and other than polishing the hooks with a felt wheel, I don't trust myself enough to stone them perfectly square, so I won't mess with them. For now I'm back to the Delta hammer with a 14 # PD spring. 

I know what you're talking about. Been shooting 1911s forever. Most of that is how the sear engages the hammer. And the smoothness and the height of the hooks. You're overcoming friction either way. If it's smooth, it's not as palpable. I just call it grit or pre-travel, that's just always how I've refered to it as. 

The cheap calipers will get close. Is It depends how far out they go. You're probably talking about a few thousandths. Even the harbor freight ones should cover that. It would be interesting to see how much different the hooks are.

Edited by ryridesmotox

4 hours ago, ryridesmotox said:

5 hours ago, MissionaryMike said:

My results aren't quite as dramatic, but with a 13lb PDO Main spring, I'm getting a 5lb 5oz. DA and 1lb 12oz. SA. I've worked on both the sear and hammer hooks.  I'm using the Titan hammer. 

What did you do to the hooks?

17 hours ago, waktasz said:

I polish mine too. Grit really isn't the correct term either. It's just creep. Too much engagement.

I do have a set of digital calipers but they are the cheapo kind and other than polishing the hooks with a felt wheel, I don't trust myself enough to stone them perfectly square, so I won't mess with them. For now I'm back to the Delta hammer with a 14 # PD spring. 

What sort of pull weights are you getting with that combination?

12 hours ago, waktasz said:

What did you do to the hooks?

I secured the hammer in a bench vise, wrapped some 1k grit sand paper good and tight around a file, and softened the angle of the hooks by about 5 degrees one gentle stroke at a time.  Obviously, messing w/ the hooks or the edge on the sear is risky biz, so nice and slow does it.  I also think the hooks on the Titan hammer or a little "tall".  Actually, the hooks on mine are better described as "deep".  So I took off a few degrees for less resistance.  I just went by feel. 

Edited by MissionaryMike

8 hours ago, MissionaryMike said:

What sort of pull weights are you getting with that combination?

Like 33 oz in single action. My crappy gauge doesn't go high enough to measure DA pull but it's not bad...slightly higher than with the xtreme light spring.

9 hours ago, IronArcher said:

Can someone show exactly where to file?

Because mine is horrible!

That said, I never notice at the range, or even dry firing.... just when watching it

https://vimeo.com/201990089

Hmm, that's a good amount of creep, especially if that's w/ aftermarket parts.  I could be wrong, but I don't think filing the hammer hooks is going to help w/ that one.  Maybe you need to fit a new BOLO?

I think we need @PatriotDefense to diagnose this one.

Edited by MissionaryMike

All the bolo does is reduce/eliminate pre travel. You can tell in that video above he is pulling against the sear/hammer engagement. A new bolo isn't going to fix that. His issue is likely that the stock hammer hooks are enormous.

The hooks would have to be huge for that. Plenty of people have tried to fit the BOLO to the stock hammers and have not done it correctly. The travel would have been a mile with the stock disco. Fitting to a stock hammer requires a proper amount of material removal.

I basically "painted" the area to cut with a marker and barely touched it enough to clean the marker off.
Had to repeat several times to get the gun to reset. FIRST time it reset properly, I stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, waktasz said:

All the bolo does is reduce/eliminate pre travel. You can tell in that video above he is pulling against the sear/hammer engagement. A new bolo isn't going to fix that. His issue is likely that the stock hammer hooks are enormous.

Could it be the sear spring – perhaps it's damaged?  Swap it out and see if it still happens.  I don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there.

You gotta use 2 wings Interruptor for Titan hammer.

I had the same issue you described when I used 1 wing (factory) Interruptor

EGD sells 2 wings

I had all the Extreme parts and Titan with 2 wings interr, which is IPSC legal set up.

The trigger was as awesome as Delta.

Link : https://www.ericgrauffelonlineshop.com/en/frame-parts/50-interruptor.html

Edited by hwansikcjswo

The BOLO eliminates/reduces the amount of pre-travel/takeup on the SA pull by "pre-loading" the trigger bar as far back in its pull as possible (if done correctly). Once you hit the wall in your SA pull the rest of the trigger pull is lifting the Sear out of the hammer hooks by the trigger bar riding the Sear leg that it contacts in order to lift it in SA. In his videos it does seem like he's got a rather short take up but pulling quite a bit to release the Sear from the hammer hooks...... 

5 minutes ago, hwansikcjswo said:

You gotta use 2 wings Interruptor for Titan hammer.

I had the same issue you described when I used 1 wing (factory) Interruptor

EGD sells 2 wings

I had all the Extreme parts and Titan with 2 wings interr, which is IPSC legal set up.

The trigger was as awesome as Delta.

Link : https://www.ericgrauffelonlineshop.com/en/frame-parts/50-interruptor.html

He's not having a problem in DA, it's his SA that he's seeing a large amount creep. Dual wings could possible help out in DA  As the trigger is pulled since the trigger bar cocks the hammer by pushing on the front faces of the disconnector "wings".  As the trigger bar moves back, it is pushed down by ramps on the underside of the ejector cage.  When it is pushed down far enough, the trigger bar slips under the wings of the disconnector and the hammer drops.  

3 minutes ago, PatriotDefense said:

He's not having a problem in DA, it's his SA that he's seeing a large amount creep. Dual wings could possible help out in DA  As the trigger is pulled since the trigger bar cocks the hammer by pushing on the front faces of the disconnector "wings".  As the trigger bar moves back, it is pushed down by ramps on the underside of the ejector cage.  When it is pushed down far enough, the trigger bar slips under the wings of the disconnector and the hammer drops.  

My experience with 1wing ./ 2 wings affected the SA as well.

When I used 2 wings, SA was breaking more crisp. 

15 minutes ago, PatriotDefense said:

You can cut the wing/wings off of an interrupter and it will not affect your SA pull/break. 

You can go ahead try buying both 1 wing and 2 wings from EG and install them with Titan.

Let me know if you don't feel any difference.

One more difference here

1wing feels good when you lube it. but It gets weird again after a couple hundred pulls.

2 wings, regardless of lube, it feels consistent.