Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

226 140mm 9mm mags?

gavagai

With the latest CO rule change I'm looking for something better than my Mecgar 18 rounders. Does anyone know if the Mecgar 20 rounders are 140mm legal? Or have any other suggestions?

Really happy with the rule change, FWIW. CO is starting to get a character of its own IMO, instead of just being Production's red-haired stepchild.

Edited by gavagai

13 minutes ago, forkliftHIFI said:

Yes but you can get some basepads that are 140 mm and hold a couple more.  You will be paying for it though.  

Where can I get some base pads? The only ones I've found are (out of stock) Taylor Freelance X5 base pads, and I suspect that the magazines are different.

Also, for posterity, and the other half dozen people who shoot a 226 in USPSA, the Mecgar 20s are too long as far as I can tell.

1 hour ago, gavagai said:

Can't see any 140s there. The MG +2s are about 149mm by my reckoning, but I haven't had one in my hands to make sure.

It's not a real magazine gauge and I don't shoot USPSA so you be the judge.

p51Dh9dl.jpg?1

Edited by forkliftHIFI

Thanks, Forklift. That looks like about 5.5" which would leave a bit to spare. My 18 rounders are exactly 5" and the description says the 20 rounders are 5/8" longer, so I had assumed they didn't quite fit. It won't kill me to buy one to be sure anyway.

Hey I also have an apex tactical basepad which is described as passing the 140 mm gauge but I believe that may be if it's on a factory mag body.  I have it on a mecgar body and its 23 rounds but its definitely longer than the mecgar 20 I just pictured for you.  I gotta go to work now but tonight I can try switching that apex base pad to a factory tube and measuring it, I'm guessing it'd hold 21 easy maybe 22 crammed.  That said the apex basepad is so expensive you might just stick with the mecgar 20 which can be had for about 25 bucks shipped if you know where to look. 

The mecgar 20 will actually hold 21 if you cram it in anyway.  

20 hours ago, JAFO said:

Mecgar made the factory Sig mags for many years before they recently switched to Checkmate.  Why would you think the Mecgar body would not be the same as the factory?

The AFC 18 rd mag bodies are slightly longer than the current OEM mags.

I'm sure that even when mecgar was the supplier they made them to whatever specs sig wanted.  

They are different I'll take pics tonight