Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire program for offhand standing

Spartan1911

So after my last match I noticed a pretty blatant deficiency in my off hand shooting. I was able to hit a IPSC steel target at 500 in 1 round but took 24 to clean a rifle rack at 50 yards. I've searched online and through the search button but haven't found a dry fire program dedicated to working on free hand. Thus far my dry fire has been mostly holding on a light switch and whatnot. What has worked for y'all?

I've watched Patrick's video several times trying to pick up a little more information that will help me with offhand shooting.  

For dryfire, I've placed several 3-1/2" white metal disks scattered 35 to 40 yards from the house in the backyard.  Now rain or shine I can dry fire from the comfort of my den.  Typically I use the timer for a starting beep but don't bother with the par-time. To simulate different distances I vary my scope from 1x to 4x.  Along with engaging all disks from one spot, I'll incorporate some movement between engaging disks.

I got to put it to the test at a 3 gun match this past weekend.  It helps but I definitely need more practice.

• 3 weeks later...

Best thing I ever found for plate rack speed. Practicing snapping my eyes to the target first. Then bringing the rifle, as quickly as I could, without over swinging the the target (ie slowing down right before I would arrive at the target and then driving the sights on). I space out my target transitions far enough that my eyes have to leave my optic to find the next target. 100 a night for a month or so and my rifle just started to jump form target to target. I also found that just snapping my eyes from point to point helped my speed a bunch.