Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cold weather lube?

XtReMe90

Slide glide on everything in warmer weather.

Below mid 50s temps? I switch to a thin weight oil on the slide rails and barrel (all things that reciprocate when the gun cycles) but leave slide glide on hammer/sear/etc in the action year 'round. As long as you believe in moderation and don't pack the frame with so much grease that it slows the hammer down when it's near freezing outside.

Which oil... doesn't matter terribly. A quart of a good synthetic 5/30 motor oil is a lifetime supply. Just refill the nifty needle-oiler container of that high dollar gun oil you bought when you were new, over and over.

Thats worked well on Tanfoglio, M&P, and Glock.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I use Hornady spray clean lube. Everyone thought I was crazy till I ran a JM pro for 300 rounds at 0 degrees with low recoil target loads. I was one of few that didn't have problems that day. It's a dry lube so it's great in the summer too when it's all dusty out.

Edited by Mully383

I was a grease man, then a car oil man (mobil 1, motul chrono etc) but I've recently been converted to thin oils and like the lucas gun oil but if really cold I would use the battle born extreme oil. It's thin like water but still lubes and protects nicely. being thin it pushes the dirt out rather than retaining it like grease does. 

so I'd say either the lucas of the battle born stuff.

Slide Glide Lite in the frame/action, Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil in the slide, barrel and rails.  When I detail clean before storing a gun, I'll also coat the bore with a thin layer of Kroil.

• 2 weeks later...