Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

compensator torque questions

thompsoncustom

So i've had a SJC 11 port compensator that has been a headache and a half keeping mounted, at first the comp was contacting the barrel so I sent it off and had it milled so it was not contacting the barrel bushing or frame but still the loctite only holds 50rds max. Have tired permatex red, loctite 271 & 272 with primer with no success.

My question is how much torch should the compensator have on it at it's final position? Currently it has zero when lined up there's no load on the threads and I'm thinking that a big part of the issue. I've also contacted loctite and was surprised how fast loctite looses strength with any heat so I bought some rocksett but testing that on a bolt without any load on the threads came off with little force. 

So what do you guys think? I've now made a crush washer and i'm going to test it with either 272 or rocksett once I figure out how much torch I should put on the comp.

Edited by thompsoncustom

31 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Drill and tap the comp for a set screw. Use Green LocTite as well. Thanks, Eric

That's the way I solved it (until I bought a Trubor, now I don't worry about loose comps;)) I think the fact that the comp is aluminum and the barrel is steel has more to do with the loosening than anything else.

Edited by Bkreutz

set screw is a great idea. 2 set screws is even better. it means you don't have to crank the single one up so tight. 2 will hold it nicely. 3 of my 4 open guns have 2 set screws (1 SVI and 2 CK arms). The 4th one that doesn't have any had the comp come loose after 12 mths....

SJC recommends red hi~hi temp loctite for their comps (info on their website about comps). There is no torque value that I'm aware of due to the fact it has to be aligned with the barrell. It kinda sounds like the threads are worn out in the comp since it's made from aluminum. Mine would hold up for a few thousand rounds with the hi temp red but I switched over to the 2011 crowd. A set screw may be your only option, 

This should solve your problem 

LOCTITE 648

Retaining Compound - high strength. High temperature resistance. Ideal for retention of parts with a clearance or interference fit. LOCTITE 648 is designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close-fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage due to shock and vibration. It exhibits a robust curing performance. The product also works on passive substrates and offers high-temperature performance and good oil tolerance.

Your benefits

High temperature resistance

Proven to be tolerant of minor contamination due to industrial oils

High strength on all metals, including passive substrates (e.g. stainless steel)

Ideal for retention of parts with a clearance or interference fit

I'm no expert on the topic, but I find the Al comp on one Open gun comes loose very quickly if you shoot fast and really heat things up.  The steel comp on my other Open gun has never come loose, and it is not pinned, nor does it have a set screw.

I'll also note that I have an almost identical steel comp for the first gun (two fewer small side bleeders), and it stays tight much longer than the Al comp.

Edited by zzt

Forget the crush washer. It's not going to work as the slide moves away from the barrel while cycling. Also you don't want the slide pushing the barrel forward by the comp. that will lead to cracked slide or comp. crush washer only works on guns like a 22/45 with simple blowback where the barrel is fixed (then you can use a washer between comp and barrel shroud). 

The solution here is 2 set screws. 

I posed the set screw question to SJC. Their response follows:

Set screws will tilt the comp and can lead to baffle strikes.
Use "272 loctite it is red but its also high temp. Also make sure your degreaser is actually a degreaser. Some products that cut oil actually leave an oily residue.
Last, torque applied to a hot comp by a holster barrel nipple can sometimes lead to comp clocking.

I've had this problem on both the 5-port and the 11-port. On the 11-port, the clocking showed up at the first match. I used red loctite on both. Seems like it clocks when it gets hot and I'm shooting fast. I'll look for 948 and try it. We'll see how it performs.
TKH

5 hours ago, tkheard said:

I posed the set screw question to SJC. Their response follows:

Set screws will tilt the comp and can lead to baffle strikes.

TKH

You should be using a align reamer when installing a comp (with or without set screw). That way baffle strikes are eliminated. They're not very expensive,

• 3 weeks later...

I have acquired Loctite SF 7649 primer and Loctite 620 to use on my comp. I'll degrease with acetone and then prime. 620 has the highest temperature spec that I found. EGW is out-of-stock on the alignment reamer, so that's the pacing item. I'm going to hold off on set screws until I try this combination.

Used Blue loctite on mine when I had my open Glock, never had a problem with it coming loose. It was attached to a KKM barrel. Comp was cerakoted too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk