Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 Optic Fitting

A-93239

Hi All-

I shoot a 5.25 in production and like it very much. I was one of the original XDM 9 owners back in the day so the 5.25 was a nice upgrade. I almost exclusively shoot "production" class but would like to dabble in "carry optics."

The 5.25 does not have a rear dove tail sight but an adjustable plate type of battle sight. I would like to fit and optic to the rear of the slide but would still like to retain the ability to go back to the rear sight if I was interested in shooting "production" sometimes.

Does anyone make an adapter or something that works to fit an optic to this gun that can be removed and replaced or is mounting an optic more of a permanent mod? Thanks for any insight. 

I have a 5.25 with the Springer mount and a Venom. I had issues with the base loosening up. Springer was great to deal with! I ended up bedding the plate just like you do a rifle action. It is rock solid now and about 1,500 Rds since. 

I put modeling clay in the pin holes on slide in case I wanted to revert back to open sights....Just can't see that happening though!

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2017 at 1:54 AM, Dyoung1987 said:

Just be advised that when you removed the factory XDm sight there is a spring and detent that will launch. They are an absolute pain in the A$$ to put back. Please learn from my misfortune. 

And to make matters worse....my gunsmith told me that people in my line of work shouldn't work on guns.  Thanks !...LOL !

• 2 years later...
On 2/1/2017 at 6:51 AM, Broncman said:

I have a 5.25 with the Springer mount and a Venom. I had issues with the base loosening up. Springer was great to deal with! I ended up bedding the plate just like you do a rifle action. It is rock solid now and about 1,500 Rds since. 

I put modeling clay in the pin holes on slide in case I wanted to revert back to open sights....Just can't see that happening though!

Can you explain what you mean by “bedding” the mounting plate, and the significance of modeling clay?  I just had to remount my Springer Precision plate on my XDm 5.25 because it loosened up while zeroing in my Vortex Venom.  While I used blue loctite each time, it wasn’t until the second time of mounting everything that I used a torque screwdriver (I’d never mounted an optic before and there were no mounting instructions.) All the screws are now newly “blued” in and torqued to 15 in/#.  Should I be good to go from here?

Springer only had so much to work with and did a heck of a job with their adapter plate for the XDM 5.25....but the pistols  original design was for adjustable sights not optics.

I had the same problem as others with the mounting plate loosing after a few hundred rounds using blue loctite.  My gunsmith took care of the problem with the addition of another screw through the mounting plate.  After nearly 3000 rounds everything is still tight.

Edited by Batmo

6 hours ago, Batmo said:

Springer only had so much to work with and did a heck of a job with their adapter plate for the XDM 5.25....but the pistols  original design was for adjustable sights not optics.

I had the same problem as others with the mounting plate loosing after a few hundred rounds using blue loctite.  My gunsmith took care of the problem with the addition of another screw through the mounting plate.  After nearly 3000 rounds everything is still tight.

I really appreciate your response. I'm at least glad to know there's the option of getting another hole tapped for an additional mounting plate screw if (or when!) it comes loose again.  If it didn't require you to remove your optic to show me, a photo of where your gunsmith placed the second screw would be awesome to see!  So far mine is holding with blue loctite and the recommended torquing to 15 in/#, but I've only ran about 150 rounds through it. As someone else said, its just much too small of a screw to be the only one securing the mount.  Another recent discovery, when pulling the striker mechanism (to clean due to light strikes), is that the drift pin that goes through the slide and the channel of the striker just barely clears the front of the optic demanding extreme care. Never a dull moment.

SingingShooter....It would require pulling the optic to photo.  My gunsmith drilled and tapped the second screw inline and just in front of the original and used an identical screw to help secure the adapter.  It took him all of about 20 minutes to complete...including finding the correct screw.  I'm really Lucky to have a GREAT GUNSMITH who is also my shooting Buddy.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience shooting the optic mounted on the 5.25 with the adaptor plate from Springer compared to a milled slide like the XDM OSP model?

The 5.25 plate adaptor appears to sit the optic a bit higher than if the optic was mounted onto a slide milled for the optic mount. 

The reason I mention this is Jerry M has a video of his new M&P pistol with the slide factory milled, like the XDM OSP is, and then he picked up a slide that he had the optic mounted using a "plate-type mount" onto the slide just like the one used to mount the 5.25 optic onto the top of the slide. Jerry mentions that it is not much of a difference when you look at the slides but it did make a huge difference to him in accuracy. 

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, ExStreetWalker said:

I didn't know this plate existed!  I've got a XDM45 Competition that I really want a RDS on.  I have a spare Vortex laying around.  

Sounds like this forum cost me money....again!

I have the XDM 5.25 in 9mm set up with a Venom Vortex red dot and it (finally) works very well.  The mounting plate comes from Springer Precision for $45.   The thing I cannot recommend highly enough is to use a torque screwdriver and blue loctite when setting the base plate and sight. Springer sends blue loctite along with the base plate and proprietary mounting screws for their plate (note: the ones that come with the sight won't fit their base plate), but the ONE screw that holds the mounting plate to your slide (the same screw hole that receives the elevation adjustment screw on your rear sight) has to be torqued and blued in or it WILL vibrate loose very quickly. Double check with Springer, but I think the recommended torque is 12-14 inch pounds. If you just try to hulk it down by hand it is easy to snap off the screw as I believe it is only rated up to 16 inch pounds. Good luck and follow the bouncing dot!

3 minutes ago, SingingShooter said:

I have the XDM 5.25 in 9mm set up with a Venom Vortex red dot and it (finally) works very well.  The mounting plate comes from Springer Precision for $45.   The thing I cannot recommend highly enough is to use a torque screwdriver and blue loctite when setting the base plate and sight. Springer sends blue loctite along with the base plate and proprietary mounting screws for their plate (note: the ones that come with the sight won't fit their base plate), but the ONE screw that holds the mounting plate to your slide (the same screw hole that receives the elevation adjustment screw on your rear sight) has to be torqued and blued in or it WILL vibrate loose very quickly. Double check with Springer, but I think the recommended torque is 12-14 inch pounds. If you just try to hulk it down by hand it is easy to snap off the screw as I believe it is only rated up to 16 inch pounds. Good luck and follow the bouncing dot!

I've got a FAT wrench so torquing the screw won't be a problem.  I'll definitely use the Loctite.  

Thanks for the tip on the optic mounting screws.

I've been following the bouncing dot on my Canik SFX for  around 18 months.  The dot makes me and my old eyes a better shooter.