Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 Limited, Production and L10 Nationals

CAB33

At least you guys can find info on slots. Our section coordinator Is a ghost. I've emailed and haven't heard anything back. I cannot for the life of me track him down to try and get a slot. Anyone have info on Dwight Hughes? The inland empire section coordinator.

Edited by APL-G35

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Fri/Sat/Sun is already filling up with very few spots left.  I think the open registration will be just for Tue/Wed/Thur days.

I am looking for a slot number if anyone has a spare one.  Unfortunately, there is no section coordinator in my area.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Where are the stages posted ?

The stages aren't posted yet but I am guessing they will be via the MatchBook app at least. The info that Ryan mentioned is here:

https://www.facebook.com/USPSANationals/?hc_ref=ARQi1M5TnV0MIcKMbUvd3MpDltsrMoG1j_A1_FgBKigfC90yjCYIC0xFsq_6qVHzoLw&pnref=story

And here is a copy:

stages_roundcount.jpg

Jpegs of the ISN stages were posted on the USPSA Nationals FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/USPSANationals/photos/

I dunno if the matchbook is online anywhere yet...

Matchbook is posted here: https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-announcements-details.php?2017-CZ-USA-Iron-Sights-Nationals---Official-Match-Book-323

Here is an unofficial PDF of the stages. Usual caveat: this is an unofficial document and anything might change...

stages_nationals_2017 - Copy.pdf

Edited by ChuckS

This is a copy of a post that Ken Nelson made on FB

"

This Nationals will be my last Level 3 match that I MD. And for the foreseeable future it will also be the last Level 3 match that SUPS runs.

I'm writing this now to explain it fully and to separate this path from whatever happens at the upcoming Nationals. I suspect that will go well, but you never know. So here goes!

Me....

Put simply, I am a man of very broad interests. I'm fairly well off. I have a lot options on how I spend my days. And I've done a decade of this. That's enough. I'm still going to love practical shooting. And I'm still going to be heavily involved with SUPS, but I do not wish to be tied down next April, May, Sept or October. I've spent the last couple of years building up a team that is interested in taking it forward, and they will. We have a very busy schedule for 2018.

SUPS...

Put simply... our current location is "tenuous". We've been directly asked by our County landlords to host visiting events as part of our service lease that keeps our access to the range affordable. But they have also asked us to cap the size of them to avoid noise complaints. We respect that. So this is the last "big" one til we have a new location we can run them on. None of our events in 2018 will be bigger than 250 people.

We will always be here, as long as the park is kept open as a whole. But we are also working diligently with the county, state, blm, and various other 3 letter agencies to build an awesome additional shooting range a bit south of town, where practical shooting can grow and we can also add excellent desert beating public shooting options.

On SUPS, Ken, and USPSA...

The folks at USPSA have GONE OUT OF THEIR WAY to be helpful in making this outsourced match go well. All the folks at USPSA are very good friends. And while our organizations may have different goals for the match, they have been very helpful in recognizing that contracting a match is different and being open to how and why we do stuff. Jake has handled prizes, sponsors and publicity very well. Troy has been helpful and open to how we want to run it. And Mike has offered his guidance and expertise quickly, which we wanted because we view it as his match.

We've gotten better working together over time as we sorted out who does what, and one of my goals was to help establish a model of a successful contracted match. I think we've still have work on that, but a good start has been made.

I hope this explains it all. This is a small sport but rumors start and spread out of nowhere, so I wanted to get ahead of it and explain that all is well, just changing!"

sups_logo.jpg

Edited by ChuckS

On 9/14/2017 at 12:35 PM, ChuckS said:

This is a copy of a post that Ken Nelson made on FB

"

This Nationals will be my last Level 3 match that I MD. And for the foreseeable future it will also be the last Level 3 match that SUPS runs.

I'm writing this now to explain it fully and to separate this path from whatever happens at the upcoming Nationals. I suspect that will go well, but you never know. So here goes!

Me....

Put simply, I am a man of very broad interests. I'm fairly well off. I have a lot options on how I spend my days. And I've done a decade of this. That's enough. I'm still going to love practical shooting. And I'm still going to be heavily involved with SUPS, but I do not wish to be tied down next April, May, Sept or October. I've spent the last couple of years building up a team that is interested in taking it forward, and they will. We have a very busy schedule for 2018.

SUPS...

Put simply... our current location is "tenuous". We've been directly asked by our County landlords to host visiting events as part of our service lease that keeps our access to the range affordable. But they have also asked us to cap the size of them to avoid noise complaints. We respect that. So this is the last "big" one til we have a new location we can run them on. None of our events in 2018 will be bigger than 250 people.

We will always be here, as long as the park is kept open as a whole. But we are also working diligently with the county, state, blm, and various other 3 letter agencies to build an awesome additional shooting range a bit south of town, where practical shooting can grow and we can also add excellent desert beating public shooting options.

On SUPS, Ken, and USPSA...

The folks at USPSA have GONE OUT OF THEIR WAY to be helpful in making this outsourced match go well. All the folks at USPSA are very good friends. And while our organizations may have different goals for the match, they have been very helpful in recognizing that contracting a match is different and being open to how and why we do stuff. Jake has handled prizes, sponsors and publicity very well. Troy has been helpful and open to how we want to run it. And Mike has offered his guidance and expertise quickly, which we wanted because we view it as his match.

We've gotten better working together over time as we sorted out who does what, and one of my goals was to help establish a model of a successful contracted match. I think we've still have work on that, but a good start has been made.

I hope this explains it all. This is a small sport but rumors start and spread out of nowhere, so I wanted to get ahead of it and explain that all is well, just changing!"

sups_logo.jpg

i have been to a few of his big matches and always enjoyed them.  being on the west coast is also a positive for me.  sound like he is just burned out.  10 years is a long time for any MD. i wish him well going forward  

i have always loved the convienence of flying into Vegas.  i hope one day that desert sportsman or pro gun club in Boulder host a area or nats match . 

Just a few comments about this year's Nationals:

The stages were all great.  No tricks or stupid stuff.  Errors (mikes) were made by people shooting too fast and not calling their shots.  We had two GMs and M on our squad and everyone I think had a mike somewhere.  I ended up for 4 total I think.  I was slow and had a few extra shots but even the head shots at 20+ yards were made by me. 

Honestly, I thought it was one of the best Nationals.

The match ran smoothly.  The weather was excellent AM/PM/AM schedule with just some wind picking up in the PM segment.

The ROs, many of whom I have met over the years, were great. 

No cash bar, which in and of itself, was not an issue.  People could bring their own if they so wished.

I concur with pjb45's comments about the match. This was a solid "Shooter" match without any stupid gimmicks.

The only thing I can think of that would make it better would be pushing back the starting time to 8:30AM as that would eliminate a lot of the early morning crappy lighting problems that people experienced, including myself.

Its a bummer that this will be Ken Nelson's last major USPSA match as he does a fantastic job with it. I totally understand why he is calling it quits though and there are few others in this sport that can claim that they have done more for USPSA over the years. I wish him the best in whatever his next adventure will be!!!