Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb rest for svi mount

user293

Looking for a little info. Does anyone run one on their svi? I have an infinity open gun with the svi mount. Rts 2. The mount has 3 screws on the left and two on the right. I want to try a thumb rest but I'm having trouble finding out which one will fit the mounting holes. The only one I think that may work is from IPSC Alex? Also when I find one, is the job easy if done myself? I'm not much of a tinkerer but it's 3 screws! Just looking for a little insight. Thanks. 

I have the same setup as you and I run a slightly modified RHT thumbrest. The predrilled models holes match up, but to get the slide stop out the RHT had lose a little material. 

IMG_2460.JPG

Edited by 3gunDQ

http://ipscalex.com/collections/products/products/alexrest-thumb-rest-for-1911-2011-pistols

The mount they use in the picture looks just like mine. Says it comes with 6-40 screws. I don't know what mine come with but I know that I can't reuse the old screws with a thumb rest. Will be too short. Does svi use red loctite on their mount screws? 

3 minutes ago, Hockey03 said:

I have a gogun *thumb rest [generic]* on mine.

How did you do the screws? I see it has 4 holes and my SV has 3. Are they spaced the same as the SV mount? 

Edited by user293

The IPSC alex will work.

you will need to heat up the screws with a heat gun/hairdryer/blowtorch (careful!). Or use a soldering iron and apply the tip directly to the screw (from inside the dust cover).

first thing to do is field strip the gun so the slide is off. if your grip is polymer remove it too. best to remove the scope from the mount too as you don't want to damage it with heat.

make sure you have a decent set of allen keys (like bondhus or eklund) that fit tightly.

the screws are likely 5-40.

this is best done with the gun in a vice (using soft jaws of course).

heat up the screws.

they will be hard to crack but if they're too hard you need more heat.

Once the screws are out clean up the threads (wire wheel on a dremel works well, or use a brush with some hoppes #9 or wax and grease remover).

you'll need 2 new screws (assuming you're putting 2 screws through the thumbrest). Most mounts will come with 2 longer screws.

Put the scope mount and thumb rest on the gun and put in those 2 new screws. you want them to end up just slightly short of being flush with the inside of the dust cover. you absolutely do not want them protruding at all inside the frame/dust cover.

if you are super lucky they'll be the right length. if you are like the rest of us you will have to cut them. you can use a hacksaw or dremel with a cut off wheel works too. if you have a bench grinder you can drill a hole in a piece of scrap steel, stick the screw through it (holding back of screw with your thumb) and put nuts on the other side to the correct length then just grind it down to length. if you are cutting it still use a nut as a guide for the correct length. then clean up the ends with a file.

Once cut and ready and all the screws are clean and the threads in the frame are clean and dry you can re-assemble.

use red locktite by applying it to the screw threads.

tighten it up, remount the scope (I use blue on the scope screws but red is fine too)

let it set for 24hrs then you can go and check the zero and start shooting again. :)

btw, please check the screw size. my brain says 5-40 but I'm coming up with lots of mounts saying 6-40... likely if you buy the ipscalex for sti/svi (or whatever brand) it will come with the correct size screws. he is a great guy to deal with btw (even for a canadian! lol).

also, I should add it's definitely a job you can DIY. Just go careful with the heat and make sure you've removed anything plastic. 

If you do leave the grip on make sure you check the trigger guard screws and grip screws when you're finished as the heat may cook off the loctite on those too. I prefer to remove the grip as it makes it much easier to mount the frame in the vice. using the vice also makes things much easier as the gun isn't shifting while you're applying torque to those screws. 

I got the steel grip so I think I'm gonna just leave it on. Also got a solder tool as well to apply heat. I ended up messaged IPSC Alex and he said his stuff is based off his SVI guns and his thumb rest will go right on. He sends appropriate length and size screws. Should be good to go. I think I'm gonna get a better set of hex keys however. Not too many good ones around the house. Eklind T handle style should be OK? 

56 minutes ago, BeerBaron said:

Eklind t handle will be great. They are excellent hex keys. 

Guess I'll won't need them. Was looking at my regular hex keys to see which size i needed and decided to give the screws a turn and all 3 turn without heat applied. And wasn't even too hard. So yea someone skipped the red loctite after changing the mount.