Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How common are broken AR9mm firing pins

How common are broken firing pins in 9mm AR's?   The firing pin in my CMMG bolt broke after about 1000 or so rounds.  Hardy any dry firing.  I've never broken a firing pin in any firearm, this after 25 years of shooting, including several 5.56mm ARs.  Even in our department's high round count training AR's; no broken firing pins.    

I plan on buying several spare firing pins as well as other bolt parts.    

broken firing pin with primer flow.jpg

Edited by blaster113
too much information...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I broke the OEM "blue steel" pin in my NFA bolt at about 400 rounds, but they replaced it with a stainless firing pin that has gone 2000 rounds so far... I am starting to get a slight mushrooming of the firing pin head... a Colt pin looks like an identical replacement

Never broke a firing pin but I think its because I  replaced both springs in my NF bolt, because the firing pin spring kept breaking

off pieces to weak and the extractor spring would not hold anything, Gun started to run.

Turned down the shoulder on the firing pin to fit the new spring and now have 2000 rounds thru it .

10 minutes ago, Dave Campbell said:

I  replaced both springs in my NF bolt .

What springs did you use for replacements and where did you get them?

I've purchased Colt manufactured springs but have not installed them in my PSA Hybrid bolt.

Thanks.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Its not so much the price as who really offers 9mm firing pins that are top quality.  Seems like almost everyone has had problems no matter what brand.

On hand I have the CMMG bolt rehab kit (firing pin, extractor, pins and springs).  I also have a genuine Colt firing pin and extractor on back-order.  Both were purchased through Brownells.

So far I've not broke a firing pin but along with having spare parts, will play with firing pin springs to see if that may help with their longevity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/30/2017 at 7:22 AM, Shepard said:

I've got about 5000 rounds on my JP bolt/pin in the last few months with no problem.

The pin in my JP bolt (appx 3 years old) recently broke somewhere around 2k rounds with only a handful of dry fire sessions.  I ordered a replacement plus a spare and later learned they redesigned the pin to reduce breakage.  We shall see!

Extremely common. I think a lot of people's triggers are oversprung for what's needed to set off small pistol primers which may lead to more stress on the firing pins. I've broken 3 JP firing pins, and the last one was at Safariland when I went click no bang off the buzzer. Had to dump my PCC and shoot the entire stage with handgun. Cost me a lot of match points.

I have a Hiperfire 24C in my PSA AR-9 PCC that is set at 2 pounds.  It now has 8K rounds through it with no firing pin breakage.  However, a FP spring broke last week.  An easy fix if during practice but not if it occurs when you're running a match stage.

I've broken one AR-15 FP and two in my 2011 STI's over the years.  These are rare enough that I don't consider it a problem.

My PSA AR-9 now has over 5000 rds through it with the original firing pin.  I also run a Hiperfire 24c trigger with the heavy hammer spring (for the lightest trigger pull).

Although I get a lot of live fire practice, I do not dry fire this gun for fear of breaking the firing pin at the worst possible moment.

So is it possible that breaking firing pins is not so much how many rounds have been fired but how many times the firing pin has been hit in dry fire.

If so, would it be a good idea to use a second bolt for dryfire practice and save a "match" bolt for live fire?

Bill

Edit to add:  Does someone out there manufacture a dryfire bolt?  

Edited by Flatland Shooter
11 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

My PSA AR-9 now has over 5000 rds through it with the original firing pin.  I also run a Hiperfire 24c trigger with the heavy hammer spring (for the lightest trigger pull).

Although I get a lot of live fire practice, I do not dry fire this gun for fear of breaking the firing pin at the worst possible moment.

So is it possible that breaking firing pins is not so much how many rounds have been fired but how many times the firing pin has been hit in dry fire.

If so, would it be a good idea to use a second bolt for dryfire practice and save a "match" bolt for live fire?

Bill

Edit to add:  Does someone out there manufacture a dryfire bolt?  

I've broken one firing pin during dry fire, and I swap that one into my bolt for when I'm practicing. Granted, it was only the tip that was broken, and not the shaft. 

Edited by Xanatos903
On 7/13/2017 at 3:24 PM, Maxamundo said:

Extremely common. I think a lot of people's triggers are oversprung for what's needed to set off small pistol primers which may lead to more stress on the firing pins. I've broken 3 JP firing pins, and the last one was at Safariland when I went click no bang off the buzzer. Had to dump my PCC and shoot the entire stage with handgun. Cost me a lot of match points.

I read Max's post, went to the indoor range to try some stuff and "click". I am blaming Max for this... ;)

FP_Tips.jpg

(ETA: 3993 rounds, Spinta FP/BCG)

Edited by ChuckS