Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AzShooter changes for the good.

AzShooter

I've been trying to shoot from my  wheelchair the same way I shot when standing.  The problem is my arms are as weak as my legs and I  just can't hold the gun out fully extended  I've been playing with dry fire trying to find a consistent form that I can maintain for the day.  I think I came up with it today.

Both my arms are now bent real close to my body.  I seem to be able to control my sights much easier this way. It's almost like the old Weaver Stance. I know that's a step back but for now it's working for me.  Any advice will be well taken.

While practicing today I felt more comfortable and more confident in my shooting.  I was able to shoot tiny groups with my 617 revolver and shot better overall with my Ruger Mark III with a Pac-Lite barrel.  Out of 300 rounds fired from the Ruger I had no failure to feed or failure to fires.  I  had replaced the extractor before putting the new barrel on.  I should be able to get in another 1000 rounds of practice to prove the new setup is working for me.   I think I need to take a class from a shooter that can show me how to shoot better  while sitting down.  It does take a  different setup  and presentation to the targets.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Last week's Steel Challenge was enlightening.  After the first stage my Mark III went  full auto.  Today I took it apart and found the culprit was a broken sear.  I put a new Volquartsen Kit in and solved the problem.  I also got the trigger pull down to 1 lb 14 oz.

Broken Sear.jpg

• 1 month later...

My newest setup:  Ruger Mark III Hunter with PacLite barrel, Volquartsen Target Grips, Volquartsen Trigger Kit (1 3/4  lb trigger), Bushnell TRS-25 sight ( already changed to a C-More Railway).

Frankenruger with Peltors 2.jpg

Edited by AzShooter
added picture

• 1 month later...

Good practice session yesterday.  Working on my first shot times for RRPO Steel Challenge.  I had been shooting the first shot in 2 seconds.  Horrible.   Got my time down to .71 seconds yesterday afer practicing for a few weeks at 100 draws per session.  I need to keep working on that and then my split times.  My confidence is coming back.

I wonder if it takes .27 sec's to get off the 2nd shot because you may not have

secured a great grip before firing the 1st shot ...

And then have to readjust your grip, just a small amount, before the 2nd shot.

Are all of your shots, in practice, .27 secs, or do you have some about half of that?

It is a grip problem.   I was working on that today  after I noticed it.  Sometimes it was rock solid and other times I just lost it.

I do have some splits under 2.7 but not consistently hits.

I've got a lot to learn again.