Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 vs G34 for CO

hlpressley

I know, dead horse but this time it's different!  Looking to build a gun for CO division. I already have a like new G17 and while I know most will say "use what you have" I don't want to invest time and money into a 17 if the 34 is the way to go. My question would be why would the 34 be superior in CO?  Sight radius no longer matters but the additional barrel length could help I suppose. What are your thoughts?  

The only advantage to the 34 would be the extra velocity helping make power factor...which isn't really much of an advantage at all.  I'd go with the 17 since they're cheaper and no reason to spend more on the 34 if you're not gaining anything by it.

5 hours ago, Southpaw said:

The only advantage to the 34 would be the extra velocity helping make power factor...which isn't really much of an advantage at all.  I'd go with the 17 since they're cheaper and no reason to spend more on the 34 if you're not gaining anything by it.

Carry Optics minor power factor only.

Edited by ninemmbill

1 hour ago, JackinSD said:

I bet he knows that Carry Optics is minor power factor only.  He didn't mention making major.

Yes I do. Thanks :cheers:

Longer barrel still means easier to make minor with less powder. Like I said, not really much of an advantage, but you could use a whole .1 grains less powder maybe with the 34, huge cost savings there ;)

14 hours ago, hlpressley said:

I know, dead horse but this time it's different!  Looking to build a gun for CO division. I already have a like new G17 and while I know most will say "use what you have" I don't want to invest time and money into a 17 if the 34 is the way to go. My question would be why would the 34 be superior in CO?  Sight radius no longer matters but the additional barrel length could help I suppose. What are your thoughts?  

Are you leaving the triggers stock?

33 minutes ago, Swanny10 said:

I ask because the trigger weight is "SLIGHTLY" better on the 34. But not enough to warrant buying a new gun IMO. 

I've learned something today.  I was not aware that the 34 had a lighter trigger.  I replace the connector and trigger spring anyway and polish the rest but found this interesting.

2 hours ago, Southpaw said:

but you could use a whole .1 grains less powder maybe with the 34, huge cost savings there ;)

I sure hope this is a joke......with the costs of guns, other shooting accessories, other bullet components, match fees, transportation, hotels etc. that we spend enjoying this sport .1 grain/round is very small in comparison

Edited by race1911

11 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

I've learned something today.  I was not aware that the 34 had a lighter trigger.  I replace the connector and trigger spring anyway and polish the rest but found this interesting.

The only difference is the 34 comes with a minus connector. You can swap out the connector on a 17 for $15-25 depending which you want so not worth spending $100 more for a 34 if it's just for the trigger.

4 minutes ago, race1911 said:

I sure hope this is a joke......with the costs of guns, other shooting accessories, other bullet components, match fees, transportation, hotels etc. that we spend enjoying this sport .1 grain/bullet is very small in comparison

A joke? No way! A .1 grain reduction per round would be about a $0.25 savings per thousand rounds. If I shoot 10,000 rounds a year that's almost enough savings to buy a cup of coffee at Starbucks! :P

I bought the 34 because if I didn't wanna keep playing with CO it would be easier to sell the the other folks I shoot with that are mostly production shooters.

Also in my local area more guys are buying 34's for co than 17's, again I figured it mostly on if I wanted out it would be an easier sell.

I see no other advantage than that to a 34 over a 17 or vises versa.

By the way CO is now 140mm mags loaded to capacity, no more 10 round limit in free states anyway!

Rules say a manufacturer can submit a declaration form to USPSA to get a gun approved for CO that isn't on the Production gun list.  But why would you even want to use a 17L in CO?  The advantage to the 17L is the sight radius.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

It won't ever fit Production box which is a requirement to make the list.

There is no size limit and if the gun isn't on the production list then the manufacturer just needs to show there have been 500 made and that it meets other reqs like hammer down on start or striker fired. 

1 hour ago, Southpaw said:

Rules say a manufacturer can submit a declaration form to USPSA to get a gun approved for CO that isn't on the Production gun list.  But why would you even want to use a 17L in CO?  The advantage to the 17L is the sight radius.

Because we can!!!  And I actually like the balance of the 6" guns. 

While part of me dislikes the rule change since it screws over mag cap states, part of me wants to try carry optics more now even though I have disliked red dot pistols in the past. I am mainly debating whether to go with a Glock like a gssf coupon G17 mos or G17L with dovetail mount (if there are still new 17L's left) or a different platform like the Sig p320 X5 which looks pretty awesome.  

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

23 hours ago, polymerfeelsweirdman said:

I just reread the carry optics rules and it seems the Glock 17L could technicay be legal if Glock sent in the paperwork. Anyone else interested in pestering Glock? It would be a good excuse for me to get a 17L since it fits literally no other division well

I would pester them to make it production legal but I have no interest in shooting optics. 

1 hour ago, Swanny10 said:

I would pester them to make it production legal but I have no interest in shooting optics. 

Can't get it production legal because of the size limit

Since CO has no size limit but has an exception built in for guns that don't make the production list, this allows for a sort of loophole for the 17L