Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rounds in a Glock 33 round mag for AR9?

I've been shooting the monthly PCC/Tactical shotgun match at Rio Salado for a few months.  I normally run a HK416 clone in .22LR which runs great, but it fails to knock down a lot of the steel targets which is distracting on the moving targets.  I finally built an AR-9 using all PSA parts, billet lower, hybrid upper, KAK 8oz extended buffer, standard AR15 carbine spring, ALG QMS trigger.  Today I ran it for the first time using Glock 33rnd mags.  I had a couple that were loaded to the last viewport (31rnds) and they seemed to do fine.  For the last stage I shot (Stage 1), I loaded them to 33rnds.  BIG mistake, I was jam-o-matic on each mag change, loading against a closed bolt (no LRBHO) and it usually failed to strip the first round.  How many rounds do you guys normally put in the Glock 33rnd magazines?  If less than 33, do you also download any of the other common sizes (Glock 17, PMAG 21,etc)?

cheers,

c

2 minutes ago, vandal968 said:

Chuck, the Taylor extensions is one of the reasons that I'm wondering if the "33" is actually intended to be a "31".  Before you added your extension, did you load 31 or 33?

cheers,

c

Neither . Just went directly to the "giggle-worthy" 41. ;)

Hello: I would load them to 33 rounds when I did not have any extensions and they worked fine in my Mech Tech. I installed Arredondo base pads to get me to 36-38 and would load them up as well. I am using Arredondo, TTI and Dawson base pads now with original springs and they all work well. For mags that you need to do a mag change on download them 2-3 rounds to make the reload easier or use a standard Glock 17 mag with extension base pad. I always download a round or 2 for mags I reload to even on my open pistol. Thanks, Eric

They're hard to seat on a closed bolt fully loaded so I download them to 32.  At 32 they'll easily seat and feed fine.  I don't think I've ever tried one at 33 since if I feel I'm really going to need that last round I'll just use a mag with a 140mm base pad that holds 36 instead.  I really don't think mine would have a problem feeding a fully loaded 33 round mag though.

• 1 month later...

I found that I could not load 33 rounds into my JP with a closed bolt, 32 O.K., I just added Dawson base pads which gave me 36 rounds.  I could not load 36 with a closed bolt but 35 O.K.  I tried to clean my 33 round mags but my old double stack pistol brush/mop was a little wide and short.  Can anyone recommend a good mag brush.

My 33 rd mags ran just fine but were a little tough to seat on a closed bolt.  I've since added Dawson +5 basepads to all of them.  They all load 36 rds just fine and if they had just a smidge more room, a 37th rd might fit.  That extra room, with 36 rds loaded, allow them to load on a closed bolt just fine.

As for cleaning the magazines, I use a 12 ga mop on a cleaning rod.  The Dawson extended basepads make tearing down the magazines for cleaning a breeze.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Hello: I am using Dawson, TTI and Arredondo +5/6 base pads on my 33rd factory Glock mags. I download one round to make them easier to seat. I am also using a Taylor Freelance 41 round setup but I have to down load those 3 rounds so I don't get any jams with my reloads. Use a bottle brush to clean the mags with. A wheel cleaning detail brush works also. Thanks, Eric

I always carry a spare 33 round mag on my belt for a reload but download to 28.  I run a mag with a +10 Taylor Freelance as my first mag loaded to capacity of 41 and load from an open bolt.  This setup has worked quite well for me.  I would carry a 17 with a +6 TTI basepad  but the Taccom magwell that I have on my JP makes reloading the big stick easier for me. 

Hello: I am using Dawson, TTI and Arredondo +5/6 base pads on my 33rd factory Glock mags. I download one round to make them easier to seat. I am also using a Taylor Freelance 41 round setup but I have to down load those 3 rounds so I don't get any jams with my reloads. Use a bottle brush to clean the mags with. A wheel cleaning detail brush works also. Thanks, Eric

I shot a USPSA match yesterday where every stage had 32 targets. I was using 31 round mags, and had to add a mag change on every stage while the top PCC shooters had extensions. Not sure what they had, but I want to eliminate that advantage for next month. Which extension would you trust most?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: I have the best luck with just the +5/6 round base pads with the bullet profile I am using and the length I am loading to. I have Arredondo, TTI, and Dawson ones I am using. The Arredondo are the lightest then the Dawson and last the TTI's. Since you don't need the spring I would get which one you like the look of most. The other thing I do is load up 6 big sticks with base pads for a 6 stage match. Load 2 Glock 17 mags with the +5/6 base pads with 20 rounds for a reload if needed. I also load two 21 round Magpul mags for the classifier stage. That way I don't have to load any mags for the whole match. Shooters Connection has all the base pads including the 41 round Taylor Freelance which I have one of but have not used it in a match yet--didn't need it. I look at PCC like I am shooting Open. There will be at least one place to reload if needed. I have never needed to except for the classifiers so far. The big sticks with the +5/6 base pads will hold 36-37 rounds. Thanks, Eric