Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do my old reloads suck?

nikdanja

I shot some 2 year old 9mm hand loads last week and it didn't even cycle the slide. The load was proven and I've shot thousands of them but these wouldnt even cycle the slide.

they were 115 lead bullets with 4.2 gr of WSF 

Edited by nikdanja

Still using same primers, oal, bullet, powder, dies, etc? Were they stored in a place with moisture? If you have shot thousands of this recipe, why did you have this particular batch sitting around for 2 years? Were they giving you trouble 2 years ago?

Edited by Bullets

6 minutes ago, Bullets said:

Still using same primers, oal, bullet, powder, dies, etc? Were they stored in a place with moisture? If you have shot thousands of this recipe, why did you have this particular batch sitting around for 2 years? Were they giving you trouble 2 years ago?

I didn't know they were there till i opened the box and saw them. They were proven and worked in all my 9mms. 

No they were not exposed to moisture. 

Im not sure if the oal was the same because I know I have tweeked the oal over time. 

1 minute ago, nikdanja said:

I didn't know they were there till i opened the box and saw them. They were proven and worked in all my 9mms. 

No they were not exposed to moisture. 

Im not sure if the oal was the same because I know I have tweeked the oal over time. 

Ok so could be an oal issue. Also, what time of year were they developed. Some loads that work in the warmer summer months don't always work in the colder winter months.

2 hours ago, Bullets said:

Ok so could be an oal issue. Also, what time of year were they developed. Some loads that work in the warmer summer months don't always work in the colder winter months.

I agree could be a temp sensitivity issue. 

Being lead bullets, there could be some possibility that the bullet lube contaminated the powder.  It may be lucky you did not stick bullets in the barrel.

Today's harder grease lube may not be as prone to this as the older, softer wax type lubes, but i expect there is still some possibility.

It you have any remaining, you might pull the bullet on a couple and inspect the powder.

Guy