Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Mag Capacity Change

d_striker

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, mreed911 said:

Kudos, however, to the match director of that special classifier for not putting six "make GM in a day" classifiers together, especially for us new CO and PCC shooters. 

I wouldn't worry about too many making GM in a day with any selection of classifiers in CO.   According to President Foley we should have some valid CO HHFs soon though. 

8 hours ago, jwhittaker said:

I wouldn't worry about too many making GM in a day with any selection of classifiers in CO.   According to President Foley we should have some valid CO HHFs soon though. 

I was more expressing my thanks for not seeing six different close-range, three-target, single-string, no-reload classifiers.

On 2/16/2017 at 9:47 AM, mreed911 said:

...unclassified in CO before this match, when the classification update ran it took only my best four of my last six instead of the best six of my last eight (I had three on file already) so my two "bad" scores both counted and I ended up a D.  Had the best six been used I'd have been a C.... Best four of six: 39.89.  Best six of eight: 40.16.  Initial classification run logic... ugh.

So the FIRST week the classification ran it gave me the 4 of 6 D (with 9 scores posted, 3 separate ones + 6 from a single classifier match).  This week, with no additional scores added (but the same 9 present) it bumped me to C, counting 6 of the last 8.  Must be a quirk in the system.

6 hours ago, rowdyb said:

initial four for first classification. running best 6 after that.

Yep.  Even when your initial score is generated when you have nine scores.

I had three, no classification, added six.  Got a classification based on the best four in the first run, then best six in the second run with no other changes.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been shooting CO since the start of it with a G17, shaped trigger guard, milled slide with an original DeltaPoint, lead shot epoxied into the grip and a tungsten guide rod.  In January I was getting a little tired of dealing with so many reloads and pulled the trigger on building up a Glock 31 into an Open 40 gun.  $2000 later and this decision was announced.  At least I now have an open gun, but I am SUPER excited by the new rules.  It has re-energized me for CO.

Concerning choice of optics: The original DeltaPoint has a huge window!  I bought a Venom for my open gun, but was sorely disappointed by its tiny window size.  I put in on a shotgun, instead.  For my open gun I bought a DP Pro, which has an even bigger window than the DP...almost as big as an RTS2!  I also have an RMR and the glass (which is great for carry) is too distorted for competition, in my opinion.  Too bad they are no longer available, because the original DeltaPoint is the best in every category for competition, in my opinion, with a milled slide or MOS/CORE.

At my first match with the new mags, I went up 10 spots just because of 4-6 fewer mag changes.  Since there are still only 3-5 CO shooters around these parts, this new rule is gonna make a big difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I didn't find the correct rules when I searched.  I saw the 140mag, but still have to load 10?  I thought I understood it was only limited by the magazine length.  The below came from the USPSA website.

5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major Not applicable

6 Minimum trigger pull No

7 Maximum sizeHandgun No

8 Maximum magazine length 141.25mm

9 Maximum ammunition capacity Yes, maximum 10 rounds loaded in any magazine after the start signal

10 Max. distance of handgun and mags/speed loaders from inner side of belt Handgun and Mags - 2”

16 minutes ago, Butterpuc said:

I guess I didn't find the correct rules when I searched.  I saw the 140mag, but still have to load 10?  I thought I understood it was only limited by the magazine length.  The below came from the USPSA website.

5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major Not applicable

6 Minimum trigger pull No

7 Maximum sizeHandgun No

8 Maximum magazine length 141.25mm

9 Maximum ammunition capacity Yes, maximum 10 rounds loaded in any magazine after the start signal

10 Max. distance of handgun and mags/speed loaders from inner side of belt Handgun and Mags - 2”

It appears you are looking at an outdated version.  This changed effective 1 Feb 2017.  See the following for the current version:

https://uspsa.org/document_library/2017/APPENDIX D7_DNROI_2117.pdf

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, tdp88 said:

Has anyone used ETS 140mm mags? Is there any difference in capacity of ETS vs OEM with a Taran base pad?

I love the ETS mags.  The 140's work well and I'm about to order some larger ones for PCC.

1 minute ago, mreed911 said:

I love the ETS mags.  The 140's work well and I'm about to order some larger ones for PCC.

Is there a difference in capacity in the ETS and an OEM with a Taran base pad?