Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Mag Capacity Change

d_striker

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Broncman said:

Where do I apply for assistance?  Can I use my EBT card for bullets and powder?

If they won't accept your EBT card, you sell it for $.75 on the dollar and use the cash to buy powder and bullets.

I've heard from several people lately that are considering gearing up for CO because of the mag capacity change. Primarily they are considering it because it's fun to shoot with a red dot and like me, they have no desire to shoot an Open gun. I find it ironic when Open gun shooters rip on CO division,  when they are shooting a gun where everything but the kitchen sink has been thrown onto a gun that also holds a crazy amount of ammo, all to make it the easiest gun to shoot for gripping and ripping and burning down a stage.

6 hours ago, JGus said:

I've heard from several people lately that are considering gearing up for CO because of the mag capacity change. Primarily they are considering it because it's fun to shoot with a red dot and like me, they have no desire to shoot an Open gun. I find it ironic when Open gun shooters rip on CO division,  when they are shooting a gun where everything but the kitchen sink has been thrown onto a gun that also holds a crazy amount of ammo, all to make it the easiest gun to shoot for gripping and ripping and burning down a stage.

How much fun is must be to diss on Open!

Seriously, though, it's one of the three most popular Divisions in USPSA and has been around a rather long time.  We'll have to wait to see how CO does in that regard. 

It does look like LARGE MAG CAPACITY is turning out to be a big draw - kind of like Limited and Open, yes? 

Yes, you can put "everything but the kitchen sink" on an Open gun - that's pretty much what "Open" means, yes?  But the idea that you just buy a fancy gun and go around "burning down a stage", think for a minute.  Doesn't it still take all the fundamental shooting and USPSA skills to shoot Open?  Don't you have to do all the fundamental skills to get through a stage - but now 15-25% faster than you did before (judging by many of the classifier HHFs), because everybody else has access to the same equipment and you're all going faster?  Don't you have to do all this without making mistakes (Mikes, no-shoots, FTEs, etc.) because there's less room for error in Open?  Think it's easy - try it!  It's actually a lot of fun :D .

(BTW, before you jump on this, my first two Level II matches this year are in Production...)

Edited by teros135

4 minutes ago, teros135 said:

How much fun is must be to diss on Open!

Seriously, though, it's one of the three most popular Divisions in USPSA and has been around a rather long time.  We'll have to wait to see how CO does in that regard. 

It does look like LARGE MAG CAPACITY is turning out to be a big draw - kind of like Limited and Open, yes? 

Yes, you can put "everything but the kitchen sink" on an Open gun - that's pretty much what "Open" means, yes?  But the idea that you just buy a fancy gun and go around "burning down a stage", think for a minute.  Doesn't it still take all the fundamental shooting and USPSA skills to shoot Open?  Don't you have to do all the fundamental skills to get through a stage - but now 15-25% faster than you did before (judging by many of the classifier HHFs), because everybody else has access to the same equipment and you're all going faster?  Don't you have to do all this without making mistakes (Mikes, no-shoots, FTEs, etc.) because there's less room for error in Open?  Think it's easy - try it!  It's actually a lot of fun :D .

(BTW, before you jump on this, my first two Level II matches this year are in Production...)

Looks like someone who criticizes CO division is a little triggered from criticizing Open division. And I'm not criticizing Open Div or Open shooters. I'm specifically criticizing Open shooters who criticize CO shooters. 

You say "There's less room for error in Open."  What? 

24 minutes ago, JGus said:

Looks like someone who criticizes CO division is a little triggered from criticizing Open division. And I'm not criticizing Open Div or Open shooters. I'm specifically criticizing Open shooters who criticize CO shooters. 

You say "There's less room for error in Open."  What? 

I'll ignore the criticizing and answer the question posed.  In my experience (which currently includes Production, Limited, and Open; my most recent match was Production, and I'll be shooting it again next weekend) in Open you can lose position quickly by a single M or NS, against others who are shooting more accurately.  It's not just "slinging rounds", it's "slinging rounds more accurately and quickly" than the other guy/gal.  The optic and compensator/porting makes the gun faster to shoot accurately, but at higher speeds the errors can come just as fast as the hits.  I suspect that will also be the case with CO, where the optic allows for faster aiming and thus faster shooting, but the HHFs and stage times won't allow as much room for second takes on a target as the iron-sight divisions do. 

I'm actually not concerned about the explanation of the technical issues of one division vs another. I'm good with all the divisions offered. I like that we have several options. If i don't care to participate in a particular division i don't criticize it, i just don't compete in it.

My point is if someone wants to shoot a division, shoot it.  If not, don't shoot it and move on.  

I've always thought 10 rounds in any widebody pistol was dumb. 

Yes....dumb

now throw in an optic with a full mag. I'd call it fun!

if you wanna do reloads shoot single stack. 

You know...the one with the narrow magwell. Don't be skeer'd. 

HaHa....

Actually, we all pretty much have an investment in the sport, and so it's natural to have an interest in what comprises the sport.  CO and PCC are new,  "provisional" divisions that can change the sport for decades to come, and so we all have an interest in the outcome.  To dismiss anyone who doesn't shoot your division (especially a new one) and tell them to ignore it isn't really part of the game. 

14 hours ago, teros135 said:

I was thinking of Affordable Optics, but we'd have to change the acronym.  Cheaper Optics, on the other hand, would still be CO.  

Isn't your comment above pretty much dismissing all CO shooters? At the very least it's dismissing CO shooters to Open shooters.

Edited by JGus